4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 9:10 AM by rjlevesque

query question

rjlevesque

Title

query question

I have a solution that lists mother and father, I need to be able to search and display up to 10 generations of their mothers and fathers. How on earth would I even begin to do this with FileMaker? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

• 1. Re: query question
          philmodjunk

How have you structured your table and what relationships have you defined?

I suspect you could set up a script that loops for 10 times or until there are no listed parents that uses Extend Found set to add a set of parent records to your found set with each pass through the loop.

The more info you provide, the better we can help:  Please Help Us to Help You...

• 2. Re: query question
            rjlevesque

Yes I know Phil so sorry. To be quite honest I kinda expected you to say that but here's my situation...if I post even a portion of this solution I could not only lose my job but be sued. I am trying to figure out how to do this carefully and legally so you can actually help me.

Thing is the parents need some sort of common ground, like humans have DNA or even just last names. This is a database for scientific study, so no such thing. I need to find a common factor somehow to even produce the query. I might need to msg you privately if I may.

• 3. Re: query question
              philmodjunk

Generally, the solution is not sensitive--the information stored in it is. I realize your situation might be different...

You can link records for your system much like you would link any other records in a database. Give each person a serial number field that uniquely identifies them. From there there are a variety of ways to use other fields or even a second table to list the ID numbers of people to which you want link a given record. Much like invoices have an Invoice number which is then used to link it to a group of line item records that have the same invoice number.

• 4. Re: query question
                rjlevesque

Yes my situation is different and this solution is being designed in a very competitive field right now. We already have 5 different entities trying to copy our design. I sent you a quick mail via the board to explain a bit better. Normally I do not do that because the whole idea behind a forum is so that everyone can learn from it but my hands are a bit tied here and I really could use your expertise.