10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 11:19 AM by comment_1

Query using Date

Smills

Title

Query using Date

I'm having a problem with the following formula:

If(Sampled Thawed="";If(BLEED DATE>6/16/2009;"Company";"");"")

The first part of the formula works but the date is messing it up the second part of the formula.  I won't recognize the date.  In excel if you turn the date to a value (i.e. 39880), it works but in FM it does not.  Help!

• 1. Re: Query using Date
          ajmiller

It's probably treating your date as a numerical calculation.

I think this would definitely work 

If(Sampled Thawed="";If(BLEED DATE>Date(6,16,2009);"Company";"");"")

It might also work if you wrap the date in quotes

If(Sampled Thawed="";If(BLEED DATE>"6/16/2009";"Company";"");"")

but I'm less certain 

• 2. Re: Query using Date
            Smills

Didn't work.  I tried the parenthesees (sp) and it's still putting "company" for everthing without a T in Sample thawed.  In other words, it's still the date issue.  " " turns it into a text field, which I had already tried.

I know it's the date but I can't figure out why.  I've changed the format and everything.  I'm completely stumped.

• 3. Re: Query using Date
              ajmiller

I guess I can't actually determine what's wrong from the information you've given. 

BLEED DATE is a Date field (and not a Number field) or a calculation that returns a Date? if a calculation is it stored or unstored?

Are the dates in BLEED DATE actually greater (later) than the test date? e.g. 7/7/2009 > 6/16/2009

And Date(6,16,2009) is not just parenthesis, but a call to the Date function.

• 4. Re: Query using Date
                Smills

Correct.  Bleed Date is a date field, non-calculated.  I just double-checked the format too and it's formatted as a date.  I tried the ( ) with the commas but I got a message that there are too many ( or )'s and it highlighted the , in between the date numbers.  I double checked the ( )'s as well and there weren't too many of either.  Finally, yes, there are Bleed Dates all over the board.  I have > than 6/16/2009 and < as well.

I appreciate your help so much.  I'm at end of the rope on this one.  It kills me when I can't figure out a formula problem. 

• 5. Re: Query using Date
                  ninja

Howdy Smills,

Could it be the parenthesis in the worng place?

If( Table1::Sample Thawed = ""; If ( Table1::BleedDate > 6/16/2009 ; "Company" ; "" ; "" ))

Haven't mocked it up...but here it is for what it's worth.

HTH

• 6. Re: Query using Date
                    Smills
                       No, didn't work.  Sorry.  Beyond frustrating.
                    • 7. Re: Query using Date
                      comment_1

The test should be =

If ( IsEmpty ( Sampled Thawed ) and BLEED DATE > Date ( 6 ; 16 ; 2009 ) ; "Company" )

This assumes BLEED DATE is a field of type Date, and contains a valid date.

Note that is bad practice to hard-code dates (or data in general) in a calculation formula.
                      • 8. Re: Query using Date
                        ajmiller
                           That's interesting. When I look at the Date function template in the calculation window, I see Date(month; day; year) and not Date(year; month; day). I suppose it can disambiguate using the 4-digit number always for the year. 
                        • 9. Re: Query using Date
                          Smills

IT WORKED!!!!!  I didn't put the word DATE prior to DATE(6;16;2009).

THANK YOU SO MUCH AND PROBLEM SOLVED!!  Yoooohooooo!

• 10. Re: Query using Date
                            comment_1

ajmiller wrote:
                            When I look at the Date function template in the calculation window, I see Date(month; day; year) and not Date(year; month; day). I suppose it can disambiguate using the 4-digit number always for the year. 

No, the order of the parameters is set in stone. It also disregards the local date formats in use.