1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 4, 2010 10:10 AM by philmodjunk

Quesions database with conditional resonses

WilliamLey

Title

Quesions database with conditional resonses

I have a database that has one table of questions and answers that I would like to deliver to other individual tables (e.g., profile 1, profile 2, etc.), and each of these other profile tables use only some of the questions from the questions table. I can get the question's text delivered no problem using a relationship join and a look-up function (I do not want the profile's question text to change if I ever change the specific question text in the question table in the future).

My conundrum comes when I want to have the specific question's response deliver a specified value list. I have tried making another table of value lists which when joined by conditional relation to the question table can get the correct value list 'values', but some question responses I want delivered as radio buttons, some as check boxes, others as drop down lists. Is there an alternate way to accomplish this?

• 1. Re: Quesions database with conditional resonses
          philmodjunk

Let's back up a second. I don't get why you need individual tables, Profile 1, profile 2, etc.

Why not put all that in one table, but label the responses with an extra field where "profile 1", "Profile 2" or some such identifier can be used to group the responses by profile?

This sounds like a survey database. If so, there are a number of older discussions about surveys that you can pull up by entering "survey" in the search the forum field at the top of your screen.

Generally, you'd have at least 3 tables: Questions, Responses, Respondants and the responses table can use looked up values settings to copy the question text if needed.

You can specify a Format for your responses field by adding a format field in Questions with values that identify the response format (Check boxes, radio buttons, drop down lists...) and another field in this record can supply the valuelist for it. If you display one question at a time, you can have a different layout for each response format and simply select the correct layout as specified by the response format field.