5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 11:20 AM by philmodjunk

Question about adding a text document from a pull down box.

sedoreken

Title

Question about adding a text document from a pull down box.

Hello I'm sort of new to Filemaker pro 11 and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction?

I would like to have a drop down menu with different entries and depending on the entry it will open a text document corasponding to the entry!

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Question about adding a text document from a pull down box.
          philmodjunk

"add a text document" means what exactly?

A text document stored on your computer, in a container field or ???

Add it to what within FileMaker after you select it?

Or do you just want to select a block of text stored in a text field to make it part of the data shown on your layout?

• 2. Re: Question about adding a text document from a pull down box.
            sedoreken

In my template I would like to have a container field with a drop down menu with lets say ten items! Once you would select an item it would paste some text I have in a text file on my computer, the text files are descriptions of the items.  I appreciate the help.

• 3. Re: Question about adding a text document from a pull down box.
              philmodjunk

Filemaker cannot easily paste, insert or otherwise add text to a text field from text in a non FileMaker file. If you import the data from your text file(s) into the text field of a table in your database, then you could add the text to a field in FileMaker by selecting from a drop down or other value list format by using FileMaker to add that data from the record into which you imported the text from your text document.

• 4. Re: Question about adding a text document from a pull down box.
                sedoreken

Thank you very much! I am very new to file maker and would like to know if you could point me in the right direction as to getting a text document into a table that I can acess through a pull down, I have approx 15 contracts that I am trying to add to a template!

• 5. Re: Question about adding a text document from a pull down box.
                  philmodjunk

The details will depend on the format of your text document and what you want to do with it.

You can open a word processor and save a copy of the document as a plain text document. You can then use Import Records to import the contents of this text file by selecting the option for importing from a tab file. But any tab characters in the text will be interpreted as text characters and returns will be seen as record separators. Thus you can end up with each paragraph in a different record and tabs may require defining additional text fields in your table so that you don't end up with missing data.

On the other hand, you can try this:

Copy all the text from your word processor to the clip board.

Switch to FileMaker and paste the copied text into the text field.

In either approach, you are only importing text. Graphics, a particular document format, etc will not be imported/pasted. Note also that if you copy and paste styled text, the style will also be pasted along with the text if you are pasting into FileMaker 12 or FileMaker 11 Mac. (Yout get an unformatted paste of the copied text in FileMaker 11 windows.)