3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2014 5:33 PM by grouper

Question about container fields

grouper

Title

Question about container fields

Hi everyone

I have a database, where for each client, I want to be able to store many images in the respective container fields. I 've set up the fields and store options. What i 'd like to achieve is the following :

I 've set a number of tabs in the form layout. Let's say one tab is named "pics". When I click on it, I view the respective container fields. However, since I 'd like to be able to view the photos in big dimensions (and don't want to extend the layout to be greater than the monitor dimensions), I can't make room for 20 photos. So the idea is to create on this tab a list with miniature pics of all available container fields (let's say on the left side of the tab layout) and keep a big field  on the right side, which will show the respective photo of each container field in big dimensions when i click on the miniature pics on the left side.

Is there any way to achieve this in FM pro 12?

thanks

• 1. Re: Question about container fields
          TKnTexas

I hope so.  I like this idea.  The "big" container would have to be a calculated field making it equal to the selected image.  Something to ponder.

• 2. Re: Question about container fields
            grouper

Thanks for the reply. I 've been doing a lot of search about it, but still haven't figured it out.

In order to keep it more functional, i created a related table with only one container field, and in the layout, the small images (the container field) appear on the left part as a column by using the portal function. How to make the big image on the right change according to the clicking the small ones is the big question. I guess I have to convert the small images into buttons and then use an additional field  which should be an unstored calculation with a container field as a result. This calculation is the issue.

I read somewhere about using the GetField function, but cant get it to work the way it should : the logic should be to get the container field content for which the ID is identical to the one selected by clicking the small images. I 've already used a small script that return the ID of the wanted container field when the small images are clicked, but don't know how to syntax the calculation.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

• 3. Re: Question about container fields
              grouper

Finally found the answer.

No calculation needed after all, just had to create a table occurrence of the images child table, add a field to the master table to connect the 2, and the use a script on the portal button to setfield so as to connect the 2.

cheers