4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 6:21 AM by sccardais

Question about Context

sccardais

Title

Question about Context

I have two separate FMP 13 files. Orgs and Support_Tix. I want to generate a report that uses data from both and I'm not sure if the layout should be in Orgs or Support_Tix and - most importantly, why.

Orgs contains info about customers. Support_Tix contains info about calls into our Customer Support desk. They are linked by a unique match field, Org_ID with Orgs being the "one" and Support_Tix the "many."

Orgs contains a calculation field that groups Orgs by the number of records in their database. e.g. If the record count  is under 1,000, they are in Group 0, Group 1 = 1,001 ... 2,500, etc.

We want to generate a report showing the number of Support Tickets received by Group.

Question: Should this report be generated from the Support_Tix file or the Org file? The report will use fields from both files and both are linked via Org_ID.

• 1. Re: Question about Context
          philmodjunk

In a previous thread, I commented that I couldn't see why you needed sub summary parts in a layout based on Orgs. This info either was not there or I missed it:

Orgs contains a calculation field that groups Orgs by the number of records in their database. e.g. If the record count  is under 1,000, they are in Group 0, Group 1 = 1,001 ... 2,500, etc.

It explains why you would need a sub summary report as you are reporting on Groups of Orgs not just individual Orgs. Given this information, it would seem that you could use either table occurrence as the context for your layout. The implementation details would vary. As I recall, your original issue was in getting a grand total to fallow the group based sub totals?

• 2. Re: Question about Context
            sccardais

I'm working on several different reports which may explain the confusion.

You were right about one of the reports I posted about earlier. There really wasn't any need for referencing the related table.

The report that summarizes Support Tickets by Group does need to refer to a related table. I was wondering which "base" table to stat from. Sounds like it doesn't matter. I was hoping this example would clear up my on-going love-hate relationship with Context!

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Question about Context
              philmodjunk

From a layout based on Orgs a relationship can match to the records in Support Tickets you want to use to compute a subtotal. From a layout based on Support Tickets, you can sort the records by the group field in Orgs and then a summary field in a sub summary part can compute the same sub total.

Thus, you would seem to have two paths to the same goal.

• 4. Re: Question about Context
                sccardais

Yes. Thanks for the explanation.

The root of most of my questions are based on not knowing "why" one method works or doesn't or which is best and why. After hours of trial and error, and many posts to this fantastic forum, I usually get problems worked out but I not always sure "why" it worked. I think it's because I'm not yet comfortable with context. It would be nice to know how to do what I want without so much trial and error.

It would also be nice to know "why" something works. Crazy concept!

Your help and those of others on this forum is helping tremendously though.