AnsweredAssumed Answered

Question about external databases

Question asked by rhille on Oct 23, 2010
Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Question about external databases

Hello all

I am working on a project and I am still in the planning stage. In fact, I am still trying to figure out if I should create a DB in FM Pro Adv or program the whole thing in a OOP software...

First of all, if I do it in FM Pro, I plan to have it working as a standalone in order to distribute it to some salespersons. It will involve maybe 10-15 layouts with infos for clients, stores and employees. I have a few questions I hope some of you will be kind enough to answer or, at least, point me in the right direction.

- Because I want to keep the possibility of upgrading the software with new features, I would rather have the databases outside of the application. When I create a stand alone app in FM Pro Adv, will the software extract the DB (if any built in) and save them outside of the file or should I create some external relationships?

- Should I have one file for each table (clients, stores and salepersons) or one file with multiple tables?

- Any way to have a script inside FM Pro that would create a backup of all necessary files every so often?

- If one of the external files do not exist, is there a way to run a script that would create an empty one from scratch? Or maybe, should I keep some empty ones in FM Pro and just have a script export it to an external location?

- Somebody mentionned that the database created in FM Pro were protected with an algorythm based on the user name and password. Is there a away to also protect the external DB?

- Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks a lot

Rick

Outcomes