AnsweredAssumed Answered

Question about finding skips in numbering?

Question asked by SkyRandall on Sep 21, 2014
Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 by WBSimon

Title

Question about finding skips in numbering?

I've "inherited" a database that's being used to keep track of books, magazines, etc. in a small private library. Each record was given a sequential number, automatically. Of course, various records were deleted over time, which has resulted in "skips" in the numbering system.

The library recently purchased pre-printed labels to match the numbering system we are using. Whenever there is a "skip" in the numbering, we end up with a wasted label. Funding is tight, so we really don't want to throw away these unused labels.

Is there any way to make FileMaker come up with a list of all the various unused numbers? (Besides going through the records one by one, and taking notes of any "skips", I mean!).

Forgive me if the answer should be obvious. The last time I used FileMaker was many years ago (version 2, I think!). The gap between versions 2 and 12 (Pro) are significant, and while I've spent the past few months exploring all the new (or new to me) features, I suspect I still have quite a ways to go to catch up!

I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Outcomes