2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2014 5:07 PM by LeeMoreau

Question about linking records via relationship but by other fields

LeeMoreau

Title

Question about linking records via relationship but by other fields

I feel like this is a basic question but after using FM Pro 13 for 2 days and reading the missing manual, I don't seem to see this anywhere.  Here's what I have in a super basic example with my data from Salesforce.  2 tables:

Accounts:
      ID (Comes from Salesforce, Primary Key, looks like CBD00343492A. This is set to auto fill as serial number for new records)
      Account Name (Company name, so Jerry's Plumbing for example)

Opportunities:
      ID (Comes from Salesforce, Primary Key, looks like ODB3482387B.  This is also set to auto fill as serial number for new records)
      Account_ID (The ID field from Accounts to link the records together)

So I have a relationship set linking Account's ID field to Account_ID in Opportunities.  I uploaded both files, and they are linked properly and relate info.  If I have a portlet under Account that shows Opportunities and allows the creation of records, creating a record there links it to the account as expected.

Where I'm lost though is if say I wanted to change an opportunity's account after it has been made.  The only way I can figure out to do that, is by having "Account_ID" as a field visible on opportunity, and then manually changing it to the correct Account ID.  What I'm trying to do is have the field on opportunity that shows "Account Name", reflect the name of the account based on the ID link.  That way if I want to change it from "Jerry's Plumbing" I can change it to "Bob's Widgets" in the account field, and it then links them using their IDs.

I tried adding the Account Name field from Account to Opportunity, which I thought worked, but then learned that is just showing that field on the record, meaning if I change the account name this way, it actually modifies the account record.  What I'd ideally like is the Account Name field under opportunity to be a text field you type in, that validates info against "Account Name" field in Accounts, so that you can only select an existing account, and then have the option where it fills in as you type. 

Not sure why I'm so lost here but mind is blank.  Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: Question about linking records via relationship but by other fields
          SteveMartino

Sounds like you got pretty far in 2 days! 

Little confusing to follow, but I think I understand.  It may help if you could post a sample file, some screenshots and your relationship graph.

If I have it right, what I would do is put a button to GTRR in the portal on opportunites to take you to the related record in another layout.  You could have a field Assigned_to as a drop down, with a value list that uses the Account ID field Sales force for its values.  Many times this is done in connection with placing a second field overtop of the first that shows the sales force names.  So when you select the persons id to change, it will show the persons name.  When this is commited (closed) it will land on the right portal in the right Salesforce record.

I know I explain things in a convoluted way....hopefully someone else can explain it better or have a better id.

If you're using the Missing Manual, the exact example is right in there.

• 2. Re: Question about linking records via relationship but by other fields
            LeeMoreau

Thank you!  I think my whole issue is I'm too used to Salesforce or CRMs where there's probably tons of coding already done for you.  Basically I'm just trying to change the Parent ID on a Child record but using values from the Parent record in a nicer format.  I've found a few ways to do it but I think the way CRMs do it is more with scripting etc.

I'm actually really good now that I realized I don't have all the annoying limitations of other systems like not being able to change "Created On" fields and so on.  So have to unlearn all of those rules!  Just keep getting paranoid sometimes that I'm getting too basic and doing things more complex since it seems so basic in a CRM.  Loving everything so far though.