9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2008 4:22 AM by AndreasvanHaren

Question about printing fields

AndreasvanHaren

Title

Question about printing fields

I have about 10 fields that can contain text on 1 layout page. The amount of text that every field can get will be different, sometimes it will have one line only, sometimes it will be filled completely. On the prinout of this layout page, I get now big empty spaces between the fields because of this. Is there a way to change this and to avoid these empty spaces on the printout?

André

• 1. Re: Question about printing fields
          Orlando

Hi Andre

On your layout set the notes box to be as long as you think you need it to be for the maximum height, and by using Sliding and Printing settings you can have this reduce when the layout is being printed.

In layout mode, click on your text field and go: Format > Set Sliding/Printing...

When the Set Sliding/Printing dialog pops-up tick 'Sliding up based on' and 'Also reduce the size of the enclosing part'

Now when you print that field and the part of the layout will reduce to the amount of text, or other objects on the layout. 

I hope this helps 

• 2. Re: Question about printing fields
            AndreasvanHaren

Hi Orlando,

I did this now in different ways and check the print layout, but nothing is changing. It's like the sliding options don't have any effect. I do see little arrows on the boxex so I know they are correct applied. Is there something else s till I need to do? I put the fields very close together and gave them the max size I think I will ever need that cancontain text.

• 3. Re: Question about printing fields
              Orlando

Have a look and see if there are any other objects on the layout, this may effect it, if so try setting the 'Sliding up based on' option to 'Only directly above' instead of 'All above'

• 4. Re: Question about printing fields
                AndreasvanHaren

No, the only thing above the fields, is a header. The fields are in the body section. The rest of the layout is empty. I tried all kind  of combinations, but the empty space n the preview stays. Maybe I misunderstand this option. I have 2 fields that can contain text and inthe printout I would like to remove the empty space in the text fields. This is what sliding should do, right? Do I need to put the boxes in a certain way to each other maybe to get this work?

André

• 5. Re: Question about printing fields
                  Orlando

Not quite sure why that will not work. Do the fields overlap at all?

One thing to try is set a border around the field, if there is not one already, to see if the field is reducing in preview but are not moving up, or if none of the settings are working.

• 6. Re: Question about printing fields
                    PaoloS

Is there a way to obtain the same behaviour in a format? I asked this in an other topic but i didn't get any answer. I have a field "Note" of different lenght, i should want to have an editable list of records where the height of them change with lthe lengh of field "Note". Now i see only to options:

1) Set the field to a big lenght-height (But i get a lot of empty spaces betwen records when the Note is short

2) set the field for one line (But part of the note is hidden if i don't focus with the mouse on it)

Thanks 

• 7. Re: Question about printing fields
                      AndreasvanHaren
                         It looks like the boxes are shrinked now and the text is places close to eachother on the printout, but there is still a big gap under the last box on every page. I think every print preview page only show 3 boxes and the rest of the page is empty. Is there a reason for this?
                      • 8. Re: Question about printing fields
                        Orlando

Have you ticked the box 'Also reduce the size of the enclosing part'? Setting this will reduce the size of the Body and move the footer etc up.

However also check the distance between the last field and the end of the Body part, as it will always keep that distance as it slides it up. 

• 9. Re: Question about printing fields
                          AndreasvanHaren

Thanks , that last comment did it!

ANdré