AnsweredAssumed Answered

Question about tables and repeating fields

Question asked by DavidKulka on May 11, 2013
Latest reply on May 12, 2013 by Jade

Title

Question about tables and repeating fields

I'm trying to set up a layout that I think is probably fairly simple, but I've hit a wall.

This layout is to help me organize parts bins in an inventory system and there are only two fields. I have a room full of parts bins that have a two letter code (AA through ZZ), and a description (such as Transformers, for example). I want to create a layout that resembles a spreadsheet, and contains each of the possible two letter codes - there are 676 of them - along with the label text.

I could easily do this as a simple vertical list with 676 vertical line items, but since the codes and descriptions are pretty short, the layout would have a lot of wasted space. So I want to divide my 676 groups of 2 fields into say 6 horizontal columns of 2 fields each, to reduce blank space and scrolling. The result would look something like this:

AA Transformers   AB Resistors  AC Capacitors  AD Diodes  AE Lamps  AF Sockets

AG Terminals        AH  Tubes      AI  Insulators    AJ Wires      AK Screws  AL Solder

And so on...

When I try to do this with repeating fields I get all the 2 letter codes grouped together, and all the descriptions grouped together, which is useless. I've tried a few other things, but have not gotten the result I need.

There must be a way to do this, but it escapes me. Table format seems ideal since it is spreadsheet-like and I can adjust column sizes, etc....if I can only get it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Outcomes