4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 9:46 AM by Allen

Question from a Novice

Allen

Title

Question from a Novice

Hi--- 

I am using FM Pro v9 on a Mac.

Question:  Is it possible to view your data in both table / list format and at-the-same-time also view the-selected-record's data in a customized window (e.g., one designed with plenty of space and of easily readable font, etc.)?

If the answer is yes, how would I go about setting up such a display?

It should be noted that I am not technically oriented and would probably need step-by-step instructions.

Thanks in advance.

Allen---

• 1. Re: Question from a Novice
          TSGal

Allen:

Thank you for your post.

Once you set up your table format, pull down the Window menu and select "New Window".  This opens up another window showing you the exact information.  In this second window, you can then switch to a customized form/window.  Then, you can put both windows side by side to see different information in the same file, or the same information presented differently.  Does that make sense?  Try it out, and let me know if you run into any difficulties or if you need clarification.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Question from a Novice
            Allen

TSGal---

Thanks for the response.

The new window feature does not really do what I would like it to do.

I think I will probably need a button and script to do the following:

- From the table or list view, open a new window (displayed next to the original window) (not covering up the original window) with the selected record in the form view.

- Also would like to be able to go back to the original window (table view) and select another record which would up-date / refresh / replace the new window with the newly selected record's data....not create another new window.

Hope I explained it well enough for you to understand what I would like to do.

Again, thanks for helping.

Allen---

• 3. Re: Question from a Novice
              TSGal

Allen:

Thanks for the clarification.

You can set up a button on each record, that when clicked, jumps you to form view for that record.  Then, on that Form view, have a button that takes you back to Table view.  That way, you don't have to open a new window.

Set up two scripts.  One that switches to Form view, and the other that switches you to Table view.  Then, create buttons on Table view and Form view, and have those buttons execute a script (Format menu -> Button Setup...).

On the Table view, you can either put the button in a prominent position (beginning of the first field?) or make the Button see-through, so it sits on top of the data.  When you click the record, it executes the script.  The caveat with the latter scenario is you will be unable to edit the data in Table view.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Question from a Novice
                Allen

TSGal---

Thanks for the response. 

I believe that is what I need.

Allen---