1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 4:12 AM by Jade

Question joining tables then using lookup

cauchterlonie

Title

Question joining tables then using lookup

I have to tables and joined them using comparitive operaters.  Table #1 contains records with a time stamp field ("created date") while table #2 contains records with "start date" and "end date" (date fields).  The join is "created date" greater than "start date" and less than "end date". 

I then created a new look up field in Table #1 called "term"  I want to populate this field in Table #1 using the related field in Table #2 "term".  I set the new field up in Table #1 as a lookup field pointing to "term" in Table #2 - But no data is displayed in the new lookup field.  Any suggestions,  thanks

Chuck

• 1. Re: Question joining tables then using lookup
          Jade

Hi Chuck,

The lookup you defined should work for any new records that you add.  But it will not update existing records unless you edit them.

{ "When you type or change a value in the match field of the current table, FileMaker Pro uses the relationship to access the first record in the related table whose match field contains a matching value. Next, it copies the value from the lookup source field into the lookup destination field, where the value is stored."}

To reset the "term" on all existing records in the found set, select the "term" field in Browse mode and then use Record>Replace Field Contents… (Replace with calculated results = Table#2::term)

Hope this resolves it for you.