11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2013 8:50 AM by user14255

question marks in all fields and records.

user14255

Title

question marks in all fields and records.

If any one can help it would be appreciated. I have a database that is on a server. We have a customer database of over 20,000 and we do all our quotes and sales off the program. We have about 10 computers that access filemaker thru the server using “Filemaker Server” All of the sudden one of my employees said there was an error message and all the fields in all the records went to a question mark. I’m thinking “that’s not good” I removed the active file from the server and replaced it with the last backup (only 30 minutes old, luckily) and at the same time copied the same backup to my desktop via a thumb drive. The backup worked perfectly fine on the desktop, but trying to open the backup database on the server again, it was all question marks. I was able to set up the desktop backup with file sharing and got the other computers to work off my desktop. So I saved the day to keep working. Is my “Filemaker server” program damaged? Any help would be great.

• 1. Re: question marks in all fields and records.
          philmodjunk

Run a recover on the file, your original and recent backups if recover reports damage was found during the recover.

I was able to set up the desktop backup with file sharing and got the other computers to work off my desktop

That's a way to share files that FIleMaker recommends against using--it risks damage to your file.

• 2. Re: question marks in all fields and records.
            user14255

Thanks, have never done a recovery. can you point me in the right direction.

• 3. Re: question marks in all fields and records.
              user14255

Ok I opened up the database on the Server and still all question marks. I went to File and found recover, but is is asking to select the damaged file. I cannot figure out how to select the file on the server? any help?

• 4. Re: question marks in all fields and records.
                schamblee

You have to take the file off the server and run recovery from filemaker pro / filemaker pro advance.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5371/kw/filemaker%20server%20recover%20database

• 5. Re: question marks in all fields and records.
                  user14255

I saved a copy of the file I am using locally on my computer with file sharing, I am currently running a recovery on that file. After it is done do I then put it back on the server?

• 6. Re: question marks in all fields and records.
                    schamblee

It depends if errors were found or not.  If errors were found  I would run recover again on the recovered file to make sure no more errors are found, then put back on server for testing.  There are a few methods listed at the above link, you may have to try more than one to fix the file.

• 7. Re: question marks in all fields and records.
                      user14255

OK, I recovered a most recent copy of the data base I was working with locally on my computer. It said there were no problems. I then put that recovered data base back on the server in the database file and opened it. Then I tryed tp open that file remotely thru the server and all I get is question marks everywhere. Has the server gone bad? The file works fine locally on my computer.

• 8. Re: question marks in all fields and records.
                        philmodjunk

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
                        3.           Recover does not detect all problems
                        5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                        7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 9. Re: question marks in all fields and records.
                          user14255

Thank you for all the responses. Here is where I am Baffled. The back up copy works perfectly fine on my desktop (I took it off the server with a thumb drive and just moved it to my desktop. But with that same backup file on the server, I cannot access it remotely without the question marks. In my head I am thinking something must be wrong with "Filemaker Server" program. What if I were to delete "Filemaker Server" off the Server and reinstall it?

• 10. Re: question marks in all fields and records.
                            philmodjunk

I suspect that your file is damaged. The way the file is accessed when local on your machine probably does not "trip" over the damage as it does when accessed when hosted from the server. Remember that "error message" that was reported? If I knew the exact text of that error, I might change my opinion, but any time you get an error message followed by a change in file behavior, damage to the file is suspect #1.

• 11. Re: question marks in all fields and records.
                              user14255

Philmodjunk,

Thank you for your input.

The employee was performing a script that prints a picklist and formats a file to receive barcodes.

The script stopped and it said "Modify, continue or cancel" she hit continue and then encountered the error message, and clicked "OK" before showing it to me.

What she says, it was something like "file corupted, unable to locate"

Part of the script is performing a find, the "Modify, continue or cancel", seems like something involved in the find.

Unfortunatly I no longer have the corrupted copy of the database to run a recovery on that. I ran a recover on the backup which is from about 30 minutes before when the issue happened. That recover said nothing was wrong.

I'm of course really busy with regular business today. I will do more reading when I have a few. Of course it's tax time also. Whew.