4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 2:03 PM by jmageean

Question on portal setup

jmageean

Title

Question on portal setup

After setting up a portal on a tab, I want to re-size it to fill most of the space on the tab.  Then I want to re-position the fields and add text fields to identify each field.  There is a gray area under the row of portal fields - can this area be used to re-locate the fields?  The only handles that are available for re-sizing in the portal are those around the first line.  If I enlarge the first line is that white space the area where I must put the re-located portal fields?  If the portal fields get outside the portal do they get disconnected?

• 1. Re: Question on portal setup
          philmodjunk

Portals are designed to display multiple records in rows. In layout mode, you see a rectangle containing all the layout objects that will appear in each row in the portal. The area inside the portal object but outside this rectangle represents the space to be occupied by additional portal records.

To do what you want, open portal set up and temporarily set the number of rows to 1. Then resize your single row portal to the size that you want and with the fields and other layout objects arranged how you want within that single portal row. Then return to portal setup and specify a larger number of portal rows if there is space on your layout to show them.

• 2. Re: Question on portal setup
            jmageean

Thank you.  If I want to add more fields to the portal do I have to use the Insert Field one at a time?  If I can pull up the portal tool that list all the fields in the table, I don't know how to do this.  After clicking the OK button in the Portal Setup I don't get that second screen with the list of available fields.

• 3. Re: Question on portal setup
              philmodjunk

The dialog for selecting fields only appears when you first add the portal object to the layout. If you want to add more fields later, you use the field tool to add a field to the portal just like you would use it to add a field to the layout. (But be careful to select the correct table occurrence name from the drop down before selecting the field. Most often, you select the same exact name as shown in "show related records from" in portal setup.)

You can also duplicate a field or group of fields on your layout and then double click each copied field in turn to select a Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? and field for that field object.

• 4. Re: Question on portal setup
                jmageean

That last tip of duplicating a field is very handy.  Thanks