4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2010 11:38 AM by sweetcuda

Question regarding development

sweetcuda

Title

Question regarding development

I am new to database development (self teaching) I have a question. I have two things that I need to track 1, devices developed and 2 is training. My question is should I put these in the same database or should I seperate them out. The training database pulls information from the Devices database because it tracks the devices that idividuals have trained on. The Devices database tracks the information regarding the device, like who built it, the cost etc...

If they should be developed in one database why? and if not, why not?

I appreciate your input.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Question regarding development
          philmodjunk

There are trade-offs either way.

Single File advantages

Moving/renaming single file solution rarely affects database function.

Single set of accounts, passwords and privilege sets can be maintained for the entire system. (With multiple files, you have to set up identical account name and passwords in each file).

Multiple file advantages

If you have to deploy an update that modifies just one table, you have a much simpler job of importing existing data into just a portion of your system instead of importing data from all your tables as you do with a single file solution.

• 2. Re: Question regarding development
            comment_1
               What are the details of the training you need to track? If someone was trained on two devices, would you enter their personal details twice in the training table?
            • 3. Re: Question regarding development
              sweetcuda

The person is assigned to the course and the device is assigned to the course. There can be multiple devices to any one course.

• 4. Re: Question regarding development
                sweetcuda

Right now I have it broken out into two seperate databases: the training database has the following tables:

courseTbl

Course_traineeTbl

TraineeTbl

Device_courseTbl

Instructor_courseTbl

Instructor_Tbl

LaborCategoryTbl

And then I have it pulling Device from the Devicetbl in the device database.

In the Device database I have the following tables:

VendorTbl

Vendor_componentsTbl

ComponentsTbl

Components_DeivceTbl

DeviceTbl

Device_ContainerTbl

ContainerTbl

Vendor_ContainerTbl

Device_EmployeeTbl

EmployeeTbl

LaborCategoryTbl

Any suggestions on changes or if It looks like i have designed incorrectly please let me know. The tables with the _ between two words are join tables.

Thank you Again.