1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2009 10:27 AM by ninja

Question regarding portals

adcoleman

Title

Question regarding portals

I'm retooling FMPro's Lending Library freeware solution.

This solution has a tabbed layout with a portal that registers when an item in inventory goes out, when it's due back, when it gets returned. For my purposes, I've added a field connected to a value list, in which I can indicate whether this loan was successful or not.

I have added another tab to this layout, which I want to carry a second portal. This portal will display only those borrowers to whom the loan was successful. Some of the fields in this second portal will display the same info as the fields in the primary portal. Some (such as the field indicating success and type thereof) will be unique to this portal.

If a field I plan for the second portal (date the loan was returned, for example) will include the same information as the field in the first portal, can I use the same field in the same table for it?

And how do I filter the data in the first portal so that only the successful loans appear in the second portal? 

• 1. Re: Question regarding portals
          ninja

howdy quickstudy,

have you considered linking on another table occurrence of Table 2?

You could filter the data to the second portal by setting a new, Global field named "Success" in the main table and have it contain the value "YES".

The new TO would then by linked by the same relationship the other TO has AND by the "Success" field.  Linkage will now only occur for those lends which are in your first portal AND were successful.

In this way you could also use the same fields in both portals and keep life a little simpler.

Would this work for you?