4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 11:52 AM by ralvy

Question regarding synchronization services like DropBox

ralvy

Title

Question regarding synchronization services like DropBox

I notice that DropBox doesn't back up entire files. Rather, they use "binary diff" to decide what parts of a file are different from the previously backed up version, and back up only the changes parts. Is there any reason to worry about this with a FMP database file?

• 1. Re: Question regarding synchronization services like DropBox
          TSGal

ralvy:

I have not used DropBox, and I see that no problem has been reported with DropBox, so you are probably okay.  Still, I would make a full back-up from time-to-time.  If you run into a problem using DropBox, please let us know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Question regarding synchronization services like DropBox
            pjrob
               I have tried using Dropbox to synchronise database use on two Macs. It looks as if the data synchronise, but not scripts. Is this possible?
            • 3. Re: Question regarding synchronization services like DropBox
              PapaCUPpie

I've actually run into another problem:

When using Dropbox (DB) to link 3 different Macs (OSX) using individual copies of Filemaker Pro 11 (FP11) and DB v0.8.90, I have found that 1. FP11 does not save properly when in the DB folder. It's a glitchy problem and at times works and other times doesn't. I've even lost 3 days of work when a file wouldn't upload after major changes were made and then the file reverted back to the day we installed DB on the system. This seems like more of a DB issue, but I have noted in other threads that FP11 has issues updating while a database file is being edited. None of my FP11 files in DB have updated properly. Not sure why but I'm removing DB from the system and trying something different. 2. FP11 doesn't offer a force-save option, except for making a copy of the database or .fp7 file I am working on. I feel like this is a weakness of sorts. I can't tell when FP11 is saving information or if the latest changes have been saved until the file is closed and reopened...or I can copy the file and then open that...but it seems like a very clumsy way to check if data is being saved.

If anyone has had similar problems, or knows a workaround or fix, please let me know. If anyone knows a decent off-site storage program that is capable of backing up data "in progress" that would be pretty awesome as well.

• 4. Re: Question regarding synchronization services like DropBox
                ralvy

I have no problems using Dropbox with FMPA11. However, DB will not sync a FM file while it's loaded. It doesn't do any syncing until you exit the FM solution. You obviously need more than this.