5 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 12:47 PM by philmodjunk

Question to Table and Field Relation in a Layout

DanielLang

Title

Question to Table and Field Relation in a Layout

Dear Forum Members

I have a (I hope so beginner) question related to a layout I want to realize.

I have 2 tables:

table 1 called customers with the following fields

cutomerid

name

firstname

address

state

country

phone

table 2 called states with the following fields

stateid

statename

The relation between these two tables is set trough customers::state = states::stateid

Now I have created a layout for the customers table. This was so far no problem. But now the problem comes...

The records from the customer table has in the field customers::state the values of the field states::stateid stored.

But I want to have in the layout a selectionlist for that field where all related entries from states::statename are shown. The should be able to pick one statename from that selectionlist and the user should not see the valuse from states::stateid.

Now when the record is saved i want to have stored in my customers::state field the related value from states::stateid and not the visible states::statename.

Also when the user scrolls trough existing records, he should only see the value from states::statename (which have to be translated automatically from states::stateid to states::statename.

Here I will also give an example:

In the field states::stateid the records have the following content (for example):

NY

CA

In the table states the are following values:

states::stateid, states::statename

NY , New York

CA , California

Now when user enters a new customer record I want, that the user can see for the field state only:

New York

California 

and not the codes from states::stateid. But inside of the customer record, the relate value from states::stateid stored.

I hope this explanation was not too confusing... I was trying all kind of different things, but I never reached the result I wished to have.

Has someone an idea how to define that ?

Regards, Daniel