3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 12:41 PM by philmodjunk

Questions about Calculation....

Ray

Title

Questions about Calculation....

Dear All

I am a new user of FileMaker 10, could someone help me solve the database problem~

I want to build up a database for used assistive technology device, so I have developed a Table for device information.

However, the problem I had is that I don't know how to design the searching criteria to find data.

I already design a 5 scale vale (No Symptoms, None, Mild, Moderate, Total Disability) as a "radio button set" on many "fields",

How can I transfer these fields to number value and then calculate for its "Sum"?

For example, "No Symptom" = "0" and "Total Disability"= "5", then database will sum all the field value and show the total output 

Another question is that if I set up the radio button set for one layout, how can I refer this field output to another layout?

For example, I set the field name" wheelchair search:: Main using place" and had "radio button " for "Indoor  & Outdoor" as the field value

If someone select "Indoor", how can this output refer to another field "Power Wheelchair:: turning radius" and use the value "Small(Below 20") " to find the product.

(P.S. Power Wheelchair:: turning radius also had a three drop down values options "Small (Below 20"), Medium (20" - 25"), Large (Above 25)" )

Sorry! questions are kind of long

But I will really really appreciate for your help because I almost stocked for two weeks ><

Thanks,

Ray

• 1. Re: Questions about Calculation....
          philmodjunk

It sounds like learning more about filemaker in books or with online tutorials could help you a lot. I'll give you some basic outlines here, but such study will better enable you to apply these techniques.

"I already designed a 5 scale vale (No Symptoms, None, Mild, Moderate, Total Disability) as a "radio button set" on many "fields",

How can I transfer these fields to number value and then calculate for its "Sum"?

For example, "No Symptom" = "0" and "Total Disability"= "5", then database will sum all the field value and show the total output "

Seems like "Total Disability" would be 4 or "no symptoms" would be 1 from your example. Do you want a count or a total? You could use a summary field to count the number of records. In a summary report sorted by the value in the radio button field such a "count of" type summary field would count the number of records where each symptom was selected.

If you want a number equivalent, you can define a calculation field with a case statement that returns a different number for each option selected:

Case ( ScaleField = "No Symptoms" ; 0 ; ScaleField = "None" ; 1 ; ScaleField = "Mild" ; 2 ; ScaleField = "Moderate" ; 3 ; Scale Field = Total Disability" ; 4 )

For your last question, you can define a separate table with a different turning radius and Product in each record in this table. Relate it to your first table by the turning radius field and you can place the product fields on your layout to display a matching product. If there could be more than one such matching product, you can use a portal to display a scrolling list of all such matching records.

• 2. Re: Questions about Calculation....
            Ray

Dear Phil Caulkins

Thanks for your help. The first answer is really helpful ^^

For the last question, could you explain more detail about this part?

I don't understand the meaning of "relate " in your answer (Relate it to your first table by the turning radius field and you can place the product fields on your layout to display a matching product).

Besides, how to make a relation between two different field in different Table with different field content?

Is it the same function of "Relationships"?

P.S.. Now I am reading "FileMaker Pro 10: The Missing Manual " as my reference

Thanks a lot

Ray

• 3. Re: Questions about Calculation....
              philmodjunk

I'm actually suggesting that you relate the tables by having the same data in a field in both tables.

Your table might look like this:

Turning Radius      | Product

Small (Below 20")  | WheelChair Product A

Medium (20" - 25") | WheelChair Product B

Large (Above 25)"  | WheelChair Product C

If you use a portal, you can have multiple records with the same Turning radius that are displayed.

In your relationship graph at Manage | Database | Relationships, you'd have:

YourTable::TurningRadius = WheelChairs::TurningRadius

With this relationship, you can place the Product field from the above example directly on your layout if you want to show just one product or you can place it in a portal to show a whole group of wheel chair products with matching turning radii.