AnsweredAssumed Answered

Questions about database structure for inventories

Question asked by JoshMarvel on Jan 26, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 27, 2015 by WBSimon

Title

Questions about database structure for inventories

I am currently working on a small project to setup a database to record information for our research. I have reviewed many sources of Filemaker information and tried many different types of relationships and layouts, but I can't find a system that works.

Currently, we have field plants that need data recorded, and once we collect seed from those plants, we need to catalog and store those seeds. I am using barcodes to separate the accessions, but the barcodes i use in the field are not the same barcodes that are used for seed storage. So, two separate inventories that are linked. My problem is how to I achieve this. Portals? Relationships? etc.

I have tried two tables. One for Plant Inventory and one for Seed Inventory with overlapping fields linked, but I find that a layout listing Seed Inventory information has blank fields because I haven't collected the seed yet. So, I will have 10 listings of blank boxes because I have 10 records listing Plant data.

I've tried a joining table between the two inventories, but I find that fields don't like being empty upon data entry. It requires that I put data into every field that is in a relationship. Data that I don't have yet.

So, could anyone out there give me a clue? Am I missing something simple?

Thanks for checking this out.

Untitled.jpg

Outcomes