2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2010 8:59 AM by philmodjunk

Questions about importing .XLSX file into FileMaker Pro 11

drmacintosh

Title

Questions about importing .XLSX file into FileMaker Pro 11

I have a Microsoft Excel 2007 file that I have created which contains 4 tabs running across the bottom.  In my browsing the FileMaker website and feature set of FileMaker 11, I know that FileMaker can import Microsoft Excel .XLS/.XLSX files.  When I import (File\Import Records...), FileMaker reads each of the 4 tabs as separate database files, so as it seems.  After the .XLSX file has been selected a dialogue box window pops up with the header reading Specify External Data, Display worksheets button selected and below asking which of the 4 worksheets, tabs as I call them, I would like to import.  If I select the first of the four entries I get a window with header reading First Row Option with below "The first row of data is commonly used as column headings and could be converted into field names.  Use the first row as field names or data?  File: [2010 Month to Month Expense budget.xlsx] 2010" and the option of converting/importing as Field names: The first row will be  used to name the fields or Data: The first row will be used as the first record.  Fields will be given default names (f1, f2... etc.).  The same is true for the other three if one of them is selected.  Any ideas and what from Excel is understood and read from and what isn't.  Thank you once again.  I have attached a file to show what I am referring to. 

Specify_Excel_Data.png

• 1. Re: Questions about importing .XLSX file into FileMaker Pro 11
          misterg65

I have had to import from excel on numerous occasions!

If you import the 2010 Budget tab all that information can be pulled across quite easily. Selecting the "First row as field names" means if your first row is as headers such as Client, Address, Jan. Spending etc these will become the fields in FMP.

To import the other three tabs you will have to go through a similar procedure. Your fields probably do not match the ones in the first one imported so you use the drop down menu and import as a new table. DO this for all the fields and then you can start to streamline and create relationships.

There are much more qualified people to help you with this, but your questions sounds like something that I, as a newbie, have had to deal with in the past

• 2. Re: Questions about importing .XLSX file into FileMaker Pro 11
            philmodjunk

The only thing I can think to add to that is probably obvious to you:

Each column of data in the worksheet will be mapped to a different field in FileMaker. You can import into an existing table, if you have fields defined that will properly align to your spreadsheet columns or you can use the New table option to create a completely new table.