2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2010 8:23 AM by philmodjunk

Quick Find Pull-down technique?

Thewack

Title

Quick Find Pull-down technique?

This is kicking my butt!  I have searched a few other forums and got nothing bit heart ache.

Here is the set-up:

My layout has a 4 tab control as the main work area. Tab 1 is Customer Info, 2 is Orders, 3 is Material list, and 4 is Payments and Costs.  I would like to have a Pull-down (or pop-up) in the header area of my layout that is populated with [OrderID].  When I select the Order ID that I want to work on in the Pull-down, the Tab control jumps to that record set associated with it.

I have a pretty good understanding of relational DB although it is all with Access and VBA.  SO, not only would I love to see a solution to this problem I would also LOVE to get a thorough explanation of it.

Now before anybody states the obvious "What's wrong with Find Mode", the ultimate goal for my layout would be 3 Pop-ups that each filter down to the next Pop-up.  For example I find the Customer in the "Customers" pop-up then the "Orders" Pop-up is populated with only that customers orders; then when I select the Order I want, the "Order ID" Pop-up is populated with only those OrderIDs.

A couple of clicks in the object properties of Access and I would be sipin' Mia Ties by now but for some reason I cant get this figured out in FMP.

Thanks so much! Jack sends. 

• 1. Re: Quick Find Pull-down technique?
          Thewack

My Bad!

File Maker Pro 9 on iMac OS X

Thanks,

Jack sends

• 2. Re: Quick Find Pull-down technique?
            philmodjunk

I do this type of thing all the time in filemaker. There are details missing from your post that are key to exactly which approach will work for you.

" When I select the Order ID that I want to work on in the Pull-down, the Tab control jumps to that record set associated with it."

How have you set up your tab control? Just as you can't give an MS Access tab control a record set, you can't refer a tab control to different "found sets" of records in Filemaker. You can put a portal on your tab control that will function very similar to a sub Form in Access. Is that what you had in mind? It can be done fairly easily with a filtered portal.

"...3 Pop-ups that each filter down to the next Pop-up. "

This is called a conditional value list in filemaker terminology. You can research those keywords here in this forum. (Click the Advanced link above.) You can also check out the following link to a thread that walks you through the process:

Custom Value List?