5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 2:33 PM by kluchnik

Quicktime file not inserting in container fields

kluchnik

Title

Quicktime file not inserting in container fields

I have created a solution that requires certain container fields to hold quicktime movies. These are used in a script that goes to the relevant field and plays the quicktime movie. However, when I copy this solution to another computer, the script reports that it cannot play the field as an error occurred. It seems as though the container does not hold the quicktime files. I then re-import them on the new computer and then the solution works.

The problem is, when you insert a quicktime file in a field, there is no option to indicate whether you wish to only store a reference, or the actual file.

Furthermore, I tried getting around this problem by packaging this as a runtime solution. The runtime works as long as it remains on the original computer. But when I copy it to the other machine, same problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Quicktime file not inserting in container fields
          philmodjunk

If you look this up in FileMaker help, you'll find that quick time movies can only be inserted by reference. You'll need to keep the movie files with the database in the same location as where it was when you inserted it. For runtime solutions, you can add a directory inside the solution's folder, place the quick time movies there and then insert them into your container field.

• 2. Re: Quicktime file not inserting in container fields
            kluchnik

thanks so much for your help. I looked in help but never saw that, hence my post.

I tried moving the entire folder over which contains the solution and movies and all things seem to work.

As for the runtime, do you mean that I need to put the folder after creating the runtime, and then in the runtime doing the inserts? I had hoped not to do it that way as I wanted the runtime to run in kiosk mode only and not allow selection of those fields.

• 3. Re: Quicktime file not inserting in container fields
              kluchnik

just answered my own question. I moved the assets into the solution folder and all is well. Many thanks!

• 4. Re: Quicktime file not inserting in container fields
                philmodjunk

It's not necessary to  insert it from the runtime. You could open the run time database file with regular filemaker and do the inserts. You would only have to do this once after you generated the run time.

This is just one way to get this to work. There are a number of ways to solve this problem, the key is that the path in your container field needs to still be valid after you move the solution to another computer.

I believe you can also just drop the files into the folder so that they are in the same relative path location as the Filemaker database file. If so, you may not need to re-insert the files--though your movie files will then be mixed in with all the other runtime files. (Test this and see I'm going by memory from what another user posted about store by reference files having a relative path included in the container in addition to the original path.)

You can also run a script that modifies the file path in a container field just as though it's a text field that stores the path, so you might also be able to just run a script that modifies the file paths of all such container fields to point to a directory you include with the solution and get them to work that way.

• 5. Re: Quicktime file not inserting in container fields
                  kluchnik

The relative paths are sufficient. They work perfectly, so I just have to drop the movie folder in the runtime solution folder :-)