1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 19, 2009 12:41 PM by TSGal

Quiet triggering of other databases to open?

joestern

Title

Quiet triggering of other databases to open?

I have a pretty complicated installation that is years old, and dates back from before you could have multiple tables in one file. So I have lots of files.

I just created a new user in my main file to do some simple logging. The user only needs access to the main file - in fact, only two tables in that file.

But when I run the script, something is triggering other databases in the family to open. The script is very simple and only uses two relationships. One is a self-join and the other is a relationship to another table in the same file.

I tried setting error capture on. Didn't help.

Of course, this only happens the first time you open the file with that specific username, but I'm trying to make this as simple as possible.

Any ideas on how to keep this from trying to open other files?

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: Quiet triggering of other databases to open?
          TSGal

joestern:

Thank you for your post.

Even though the customer may be doing simple logging, behind the scenes, even if the customer isn't using those fields, the lookups and relationships are still active.

One option is to create a script that opens all database files and hides them.  Then, you can execute the script when the file is open.  Once open, the user doesn't have to worry about waiting for the other files to open.  Likewise, when you close the file, you can execute a script that closes all files.  To set these scripts, pull down the File menu and select "File Options..."

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.