1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 30, 2014 12:09 PM by philmodjunk

Quirk: Multiple Layout Using Global Variable Yields Quirky Behavior

RichNasser

Title

Quirk: Multiple Layout Using Global Variable Yields Quirky Behavior

I have a layout with a PopUp Menu that lists values from a values list and is also connected to a Field in the table that is storing its value globally.

I want two or more users to access the same layout from different terminals.  I would simulate that by opening to windows of the same layout.  When I did this I would get the result I intended, i.e. window 1 would have one value in the pop up and window 2 would have another.  If I changed one the other one WOULDN'T change. (I got the feeling that this wasn't supposed to be like this)

For some reason I changed the storage option on my global variable to not global.  Then realizing my mistake I changed it back to global.

However, now, when I open both instances of the same layout, if I change the value in the pop up from one window, the other one would change as well.  (I get the feeling that this is the way it's supposed to work)

If this is the way it's supposed to work, can anyone suggest how I may be able to have multiple instances of this layout open without any of them affecting the value of the other?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Quirk: Multiple Layout Using Global Variable Yields Quirky Behavior
          philmodjunk

Opening two windows on the same machine will not simulate the behavior you will get when opening the same window on two different machines at the same time when it comes to the values of global fields and variables.

Each user get's their "own copy" of these items and changing a value in a global field or variable is not a change that can be seen by a user on a different computer. You'd have to change the value of a field that is not global before that change will persist when the user closes the file and which will be seen by other users.