1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 27, 2010 9:58 AM by philmodjunk

Quiz solution

ultranix

Title

Quiz solution

Hey. I'm making a solution, where I put contacts and every person has to complete quiz, which contains:
      1) 10 questions per each category in 3 different categories: 1) education, 2) experience, 3) leisure activities.
      2) each question of all 30 questions have 3 different answers to choose.

Idea is to have conditional value lists, for example, if I have a  particular question from a particular category, pop-up menu only  displays answers related to that question.

My final vision is tabbed solution: every tab has 10 questions from  different categories. I found some examples and tutorials how to make  conditional value lists. I am able to make 2 layer conditional value  list, as in there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVTRGhIEz6E&feature=related
      or I also watched: http://digitalfusion.co.nz/news/weetbicks/conditional-value-lists-pt-3--assisting-with-the-selection-process/26/

Contact ID field is very important, meaning that every person has it's results stored.

The tricky parts here are two.
      First of all: Each answer would have a separate field with a score, I  mean, whenever person selects the answer from a pop-up menu, the score  is automatically displayed in the corresponding score field, next to  "answer". I believe this is done with set field? I believe I set up wrong relationships in order for the Filemaker to look up for the score value depending on the answer.

And. How to get all those questions auto-entered from a value list in appropriate places whenever a new record (person is set to complete this quiz) is created, so that i wouldn't need to pop-up menu and re-select all those questions?

Here I uploaded the file i'm working on, no design is already applied, as I first need to get the programming right.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6ghxp7

I would appreciate a helping hand.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Quiz solution
          philmodjunk

Item 1 please use a different share site. When I downloaded from it, I got an offensive image popping up after the download was complete.

You'll need a different structure to manage what you want to do here.

The exact structure depends on whether different quizzes need to be managed or just one. I'm going to assume a single quiz here. (Everyone gets exactly the same questions scored exactly the same way.)

Contacts---<Responses>----Questions   ( >--- means one to many relationship )

Contacts::ContactID = Responses::ResponseID
          Responses::QuestionID = Questions::QuestionID

Write your questions in a text field in the Questions table. You can add a field to identify the question's category so that you can work with groups of each question for education, experience, etc. You can use a portal for this on your file tabs and other approaches may also be used. Another field can be used to list your possible answers in a list with a carriage return separating each value. Then a conditional value list that uses the relationship between responses and questions to display just the values appropriate for a given question.

You can use a script to create the needed number of Responses records for a given Contact Record automatically. Filtered portals to responses can give you a separate portal for each category and you can add fields from Questions to these portals to display the needed question.

The actual response field and any score calculation based on a single reponse can be defined with fields in the response table. An overall score can be computed in a calculation field defined in the contacts table.