Quoted time vs Actual time

Jwhite

Title

Quoted time vs Actual time

Here is what i am trying to do.

1. I have a timestamp field when we start a job

2. I have a timestamp field when we finish the job

3. And a field that calculates the time the job took to complete

The above works great, but now i want to add a field that I can put in the quoted time and have the completed time compare to the quoted time and calculate if the job was completed on time.

I am still using FM 8 (if that makes a difference)

• 1. Re: Quoted time vs Actual time
          user9755
             You would at least need two more fields, more depending on how you want to analyze the data.  The first field would be the Estimated Time, i.e. the time the job should have taken.  The second would be a calculation for Estimated - Actual, which would be your comparison field.  From there you could have a handful of other fields for reporting / analysis, such as percentages to see what percent over / under estimate the job is, summaries to see overages and underages for multiple jobs, etc.
          • 2. Re: Quoted time vs Actual time
            Jwhite
               That is where I am having problems, I really don't have a clue (newbie, who inherited this database) how set up this calculation. Any help would be much appreciated.
            • 3. Re: Quoted time vs Actual time
              TSGal

Jwhite:

Thank you for your post.

Do you want the result to be the number of days?  Hours?  Perhaps you could provide an example.  This will help determine how the calculation should be created.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Quoted time vs Actual time
                Jwhite

TSGal, here is what i am trying to do.

Job comes in to department.

A field is set in the database as quoted time  (Hours, we would put in 48 meaning job should be done in 48 hours)

Another field is timestamp as to when job came in

Another field is timestamp as to when job is completed

Another field to give actual time that will compare to the quoted time.

Another field that i will be able to report how many jobs were done on time

I hope this gives a better example as to what I am trying to do.

Thanks in advance!! 

• 5. Re: Quoted time vs Actual time
                  philmodjunk

That doesn't fully answer TSGal's question, but it's a start.

HrsCompleted = (Time completed - Timestarted)/60 will compute the number of hours it took to complete the job. You'll need to substitute your time stamp fields for time started and time completed.

(quoted time - HrsCompleted ) will give you the difference in hours between the expected and actual completion times. Negative hours will identify jobs that were not finished on time. You could perform a find looking for all values > 0 in this field and the number of records found would be the number of jobs done on time.