5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2009 6:16 PM by Jade

Radio Button Outlines Hidden

macbuz

Title

Radio Button Outlines Hidden

Working my way up from the bottom here. I've put a radio button option in to a field and it works fine, just doesn't display 'properly'. The unselected radio button has no outline to show it's there (and unselected) and the selected one is just a black dot with no margin outline. Wondering if there are 'styles' of radio buttons and where to find them?

Thank you. 

• 1. Re: Radio Button Outlines Hidden
          Jade

Hi Macbuz,

Sounds like either the line width is set to 'none' or the pen color is white (or transparent).  Open the status area and you will see these settings while in the Layout mode. (Select the radio button field first before trying to change these properties.)

• 2. Re: Radio Button Outlines Hidden
            macbuz

Thank you Jade.

I showed the formatting bar, then selected the field containing the radio buttons and changed the line thickness to '1' and black. This works for the radio buttons but also places a black border around the field.

This is only an exercise so I'm not too worried about it at this point, although for future reference I would be interested in how to separate the style control of the buttons from the field?

Thank you

Buz 

• 3. Re: Radio Button Outlines Hidden
              Jade

For future reference I would be interested in how to separate the style control of the buttons from the field?

In Layout mode:-
              Just above the pen settings, there are the background settings.  These include the field's background: color, fill, and effect (none, embossed, engraved, drop shadow)
              So set the effect to 'none' to start.
              Then select the menu: Format>Field/Control…Borders… Here you can set which border is on or off (top, bottom, left, and right) as well as the border color and fill. 
              My favorite is engraved with no border (purely subjective).  My advice is to find one style you like and use it throughout all your layouts for consistency.

• 4. Re: Radio Button Outlines Hidden
                macbuz

Thanks for hanging in there with me. Seems I have found it although it's not very intuitive. The border persists in layout mode but when you have the settings 'right', they disappear in Browse and the Buttons continue to be 'properly' displayed.

Seems the addition of the radio buttons alters a field's display attributes and how they get set.

Thanks again. 

• 5. Re: Radio Button Outlines Hidden
                  Jade
                     When the field has focus (i.e. you tab into or select the field), its borders change to indicate where you are on the form.