3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 12:34 PM by davidanders

Random Filemaker Client Crashes in a 10 user enviroment

marketg

Title

Random Filemaker Client Crashes in a 10 user enviroment

We have had this problem for about the last year and figured I would see if anyone here might know what is going on.

Quick Snapshot of problem: We have Filemaker 10 Server running on a Mac Mini Server. 10 Clients on various imacs and mini macs running Filemaker 10.3 Client. Over the course of the last year three particular computers just have random client crashes where FM application will disapear completely with no error or anything. I've had each person let me know when it happens and what they were doing and there is no common thing I can find. Sometimes they can go a whole week with no problems, then the next week have crashes frequently each day. When the crashes happen, they sometimes are just changing between layout, or entering data, or just moving to another application such as safari or such. Even in some cases, the program is just sitting idile for a few minutes. The problem is so random I'm at a lose as to what is going on.

Solutions I've tried: I've made sure all OS's are up to date, everyone is on the most current version FM 10 and that all updates are updated on the computers. We originally thought maybe the server was having problems, so we wiped it clean and resintalled the server software and FM server software. I've turned off the kick clients after being idle items.

Computers most effected: The three computers that seem to be effected are:

1) Running OSX 10.5.8, iMac

2) Running OSX 10.6.8, MiniMac

3) Running OSX 10.6.8, PowerBook

Any thoughts or suggestions out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Random Filemaker Client Crashes in a 10 user enviroment
          philmodjunk

If you were having server or network trouble, I would expect to see the crashes equally distributed over all computers, not just 3 specific machines.

Since the crashes only occur with specific machines, that suggests that there is an issue with those machines.

Try creating a new user account on one of these machines and have your user use that user account for a while and see if they still get crashes. If the crashes go away with that new user account, repair or replace user accounts on the problem machines.

Use a hard drive utility to check the problem machines over for any possible issues.

Remove the Filemaker Preferences file on these three machines by dragging that file out onto the desktop. FileMaker will create a new Prefs file the next time you open it on that machine and this is an old "cheap fix" to try with software trouble on a mac.

If all else fails, try re-installing FileMaker and Bonjour on each of these computers.

• 2. Re: Random Filemaker Client Crashes in a 10 user enviroment
            marketg

Thanks for the quick reply PhilModJunk... I will try those solutions and post back here in a week with the results.

• 3. Re: Random Filemaker Client Crashes in a 10 user enviroment
              davidanders

Activity Monitor in Utilities in Applications can be set to display System Memory in the Dock.
              https://www.google.com/search?q=activity+monitor+in+dock

Console in Utiliites in Applications can display Error Logs for many processes and can be difficult to decode.
              https://www.google.com/search?q=console+error+logs+application+crashes

Directory corruption is normally repaired with Disk Utility. It cannot be run on the Boot Drive from the Boot Drive in the Finder.
                   Will be run when Safe Booting [Shift Key down]
                   Can be run from Terminal as fsck (file system check)
                   AppleJack can run it from Single User Mode.

Do the three affected computers have anything in common.