3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2010 4:54 PM by ekatherine

range of dates

ekatherine

Title

range of dates

Hi everybody,

I'm a beginner with FileMaker. I'm building an archaeological database and I'm in trouble with date fields. Sometimes archeological finds have exact year datings, sometimes not (e.g. IV-II century b.C.). What kind of field (date, numeric, string...) could I use to input dates into my records? I mean, I'd like it would be possible to search for II century b.C. records in my database and find II century but also III-I century b.C. records.

• 1. Re: range of dates
          comment_1

Filemaker's Date fields (a) require a full date (year, month, day) and (b) are limited to a range starting at Jan 1, 0001.

Based on your example, I'd suggest using two Number fields: one for the exact or starting year, the other for the end year (empty in case the year is known exactly).

• 2. Re: range of dates
            philmodjunk

That could be a real challenge!

Hmm, if the dates are all in terms of centuries you might make things work by having 2 number fields, Century1, Century2. Put the earliest century in Century1 and make BC centuries Negative.

Structure finds like this:

To find all records whose date range includes 1st Century BC,

Enter find mode

Put < -1 in Century1

Pug > -1 in Century2

Perform the find

• 3. Re: range of dates
              ekatherine

Thanks you both for the quick replies.

I'm going to test your suggestions, I think the solution could be a mix of them.