3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2011 11:28 AM by raybaudi

Range of Dates Question

SusanMandell

Title

Range of Dates Question

I am trying to create a script to have the user enter a start and end date, then have the script perform the find. I found the documentation on how to do it in the knowledge base. However, when I get to the "Insert Calculated Result" step I run into problems in the calculation window.

I have tried every combination of what was in the instructions. One set of instructions had quotes around the ... the other did not. I tried:

NSALA Expenses::Date of Expense;NSALA Expenses::Date Start & ... & NSALA Expenses::Date End

Each time I get the error message "an operator (e.g. +, -, *, ...) is expected here (and everything after the first ; is highlighted)

I have tried every combination of operators and symbols of inclusion ( [ { I can think of and can't get it to work. 

Please help. This is a really crutial part of the database I am trying to build for National Mill Dog Rescue and I don't want to let them down.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Range of Dates Question
          raybaudi

Set Field [ NSALA Expenses::Date of Expense // this is the name of the field ; NSALA Expenses::Date Start & "..." & NSALA Expenses::Date End // this is the calculation that will set the field ]

where Date Start and Date End are two global fields.

Note that you do not have to enter the ";" It is FileMaker that will enter that symbol for you.

• 2. Re: Range of Dates Question
            SusanMandell

Thanks for trying. Both the Date Start and the Date End are Date fields with the global storage option selected. I entered exactly what you typed both with and without the brackets and I still get the same error message.

"NSALA Expenses::Date of Expense" is a date field. I am not sure what you meant, "Note that you do not have to enter the ";" It is FileMaker that will enter that symbol for you." Are you referring to the ; after the  NSALA Expenses::Date of Expense? I tried the calculation with it and without it and I still get the same message

I must be missing something stupid. Inside of the calculation field I start with NSALA Expenses::Date of Expense. There are no words before it.

As I said. Thanks for trying.

• 3. Re: Range of Dates Question
              raybaudi

Inside the space for the calculation to apply to that field you must enter ONLY:

NSALA Expenses::Date Start & "..." & NSALA Expenses::Date End

nothing more, nothing less !