If you put your replies down in the misnamed "post a Answer" box at the bottom of this screen, you can keep all your replies in a single discussion thread instead of posting a new message each time. That makes it easier to keep the entire discussion in one place.
Did you bind both keys with the same key and at the same time?
From Developer utilities, use the Add button to add both files, designating your file as the primary file and then step through the process for generating your runtime solution.
Does that work for you?
Ques: Did you bind both keys with the same key and at the same time?
Ans: I copied the Binding key from the primary file (my App) to the second file. But after compiling the app (with both databases included) and try to launch the other app(Using a Btn) from inside my app I get an error saying "The file: *******.fp7 could not be opened ( Not Found)" after clicking "ok" I get a dialogue box and I see the file I want to launch. I click on the file and it launched. But this does not seem to be the right way. I am worried that users are going to have issues with this.
But did you have both files added to your list when you started the binding process? (That's what it's called with FileMaker as technically you aren't actually compiling anything.)
During the binding process, filenames are changed (at least the extension) and copied to the new solution folder. When they are bound at the same time, FileMaker updates the external file references to point to the new filenames and locations. Done correctly, this should eliminate the "file not found" error message you are seeing.
If by having both files added to the list, you meant . Adding my app as the primary file and adding the other app as the secondary file?
Yes, that is what I did, and I would check the binding key on the primary file (my app) and check the binding key on the 2nd app (bought app), that was done and both have the same binding key.
I know I am doing something wrong. Could you please provide the correct steps ? ready to ans any other question (s). Thanks for taking the time to help.
I don't know, what you described is what should have worked. The only thing that's odd here, is that when you do this, you assign a completely new binding key during the process and it's assigned to all the listed files. Thus, there's no "binding key" to check on each file, so I'm not sure what you are doing there.
You might open Manage | External Datasources... and see what you have listed there. You should edit all these data source references so that they use relative paths and you should have both files in the same folder. A relative path reference will look like this: File: FileName.
This shouldn't strictly be necessary, but I'm applying the "keep it simple" approach here to see if that fixes the problem.
Looking back at your original post, I see this error message that you posted: "The file: *******.fp7 could not be opened" That bothers me as your files should be renamed during the binding process to a different file extension that .fp7 so this file reference is still attempting to open the original file instead of the bound copy produced by this process. It should have been updated to the new name and location during the binding.
Thank you for your keen insight and guidance. Sorry for taking so long to respond, been having internet issues. I solved the problem by taking a long careful look at both app's features Vs what I want to achieve overall and I found it simplier to combine my app into the baught app. and it's worked out fine, although I am still bug testing. Thanks again and seasons greetings to all.