3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 9:52 AM by philmodjunk

Re-installation Challenge, please help!

Freedomcoach

Title

Re-installation Challenge, please help!

Hi Everyone:

I'm having a particularly frustrating time re-installing FM Pro 9 Advanced and hoping someone here can offer a solution. My macbook laptop on which FM was installed was stolen from my car 2 days ago. There were two critical databases on the laptop containing virtually everything in my life. The good news is that I maintain a clone backup and yesterday I was able to get a new computer and restore everything to where it was.

However, FM pro will not launch because the license is keyed to the old macbook hardware. In calling FM support, the man I spoke to found my customer information and sent me an email with a download link to an FM pro 9 installer and license code. I was relieved thinking all was well.

Then this morning I hit another snag. The Filemaker installer is looking on my hard drive for a "qualifying product" and is not counting my existing FM Pro 9 Advanced as qualifying. Since I cannot open my databases, I cannot supply the installer with any older license information that might allow it to complete the installation.

I'm therefore back to square one facing an entire weekend of not being able to access my critical data. If there is someone running FM Pro who was able to open my databases for me, he/she could conceivably export everything to an excel file and send it to me which would at least give me access to the data. They could also possibly locate some earlier licensing information in my Filemaker record which just might be good enough for the installer.

I honestly do not know why the FM customer support rep sent me a link requiring a qualifying product when he already found me as a customer for FM Pro 9 Advanced. Anyways, if you have ANY ideas at all of how to resolve this, I would be deeply appreciative and would be willing to reciprocate with some complimentary coaching services (see breakthroughcoaching.cc). Thank you!

Sincerely,

Howard 

• 1. Re: Re-installation Challenge, please help!
          littledog

As I understand, you get possibility to download a copy of FM, isn't it? And key too.

So you can make a new installation of FM.

Before that try to remove FM via installation and then reinstall FM.

If you cannot reinstall via FM installation - go to Apple Downloads, download and install AppDelete. AppDelete is free and very good to remove Aps - thanks to authors! 

I haven't never heard that FM is bind to hardware - our company run FM on 10 computers under VLA and several under normal license.

Windows computers crashes time after time as normal Windows must to be and I must change computer and reinstall FM time after time. 

Everything works. 

• 2. Re: Re-installation Challenge, please help!
            Freedomcoach

The installer that I was given a link to is actually dependent on finding a qualifying product so deleting my existing FM 9 won't help anything because it will still not find a qualifying product and it is not designed to be a regular installer. Maybe I'm missing something but i don't see what it is. Thanks for your attempt at helping me anyways.

Sincerely,

Howard 

• 3. Re: Re-installation Challenge, please help!
              philmodjunk
                 I'd use the phone to contact Filemaker Customer service for assistance on this.