4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 10:50 AM by mark_d2x

re: printing multipage PDFs directly from FMP

mark_d2x

Title

re: printing multipage PDFs directly from FMP

Hi, me (yet) again,

Another issue, i have several container fields that I am putting PDFs into  (as Quicktime), so that all the pages can be viewed within FMP (advantage of Mac v PC) - if it is a singe page, i have worked around this by putting the container field onto a new layout and a button - with a script |goto layout|print layout|goto original layout, which is fine for a single page, however if the PDF has more than 1 page only the first page prints - is there a way of doing this from within FMP?

Mark

(there is 1 more query but will do that separately as my brain cant cope with more than 1 thing at a time....) 

• 1. Re: re: printing multipage PDFs directly from FMP
          TSGal

Mark_d2x:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro will only show one page of a PDF file when viewed in a Container field.  If you have the ability to break each page out as a separate document, then you could put the successive pages into separate Container fields, or set up your Container field to have 10 repeating values, and place each page into the repeating values.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: re: printing multipage PDFs directly from FMP
            mark_d2x

TSGal,

Thanks, yes, you are correct it will only show 1 page at a time, by adding the PDF as a Quicktime you can view the other pages in the PDF using the forward button, what I really want to do is have a button that says print and it prints all the pages of the PDF without opening it in Acrobat or Preview......  some of the PDFs are 200 pages ;-(

If this isn't possible, then i guess it is open the file in a window that you can do that with (Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Acrobat) - is that possible?  Just like double clicking a file (if I add the PDF as a file the other functionality is lost.

Thinking about it, what would be good is to be able to open up the PDF in a new window using the web browser; the url would be the file path I guess?

Mark 

• 3. Re: re: printing multipage PDFs directly from FMP
              TSGal

Mark_d2x:

FileMaker Pro will print whatever is on the screen.  If your layout is two pages, then you can view a maximum of two pages.

The "Open URL" script step allows you to open a web page, but if the URL is a "file:///" statement, then the default application is loaded, so in your case, a PDF will either open in Preview (Mac) or Adobe Reader in a new window.  If these files are located on a server with its own IP address, then it will display in a new browser window.

For example, if the file "Test.pdf" is located on the desktop, your computer is a Mac, and your user name is Mark_d2x, the path may be:

file:///Users/Mark_d2x/Desktop/Test.pdf

If "Test.pdf" is located on a server with IP address 111.111.111.111, the browser address would be:

http://111.111.111.111/Test.pdf

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: re: printing multipage PDFs directly from FMP
                mark_d2x

TSGal,

Many thanks for that - problem solved for the non mac users ;-)

Mark