2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 1:45 PM by mark_d2x

re: _usermod

mark_d2x

Title

re: _usermod & _timemod backups

Hi me again!

Just another one (I am sure there are going to be many more! <giggles>).  I have been asked if it is possible to permanantly record who has modified a table.

What i thought was to create a new table - MODIFICATION RECORD - in this I want to sequentially store who and when someone has made a record within that table - this may be best done as a seperate database (advise me please!), what I thought was to have the following: _kp_Mod record (auto enter serial number), _kf_primary key table, user mod, mod timestamp as the fields.  Then I thought about a script for the layout that copies the user mod and user timestamp from the main table on exit of that layout - is this the best way/ only way or is there an easier way to keep a long term track of who has modified a record?

Best wishes

Mark 

• 1. Re: re: _usermod & _timemod backups
          philmodjunk

Your basic idea sounds workable.

A few suggestions and observations:

If you just want to know who was the last person to modify the record, just keep the fields as part of the same table. You won't need a script at all, just fields set to auto-enter any modification data such as date, time, timestamp, account name.

If you want a log of each time the record was modified, use your related table as now you can set your script to create a new record each time. Since most layouts are set up to enable a user to move from record to record, set a script trigger to log the change when the record is committed.

• 2. Re: re: _usermod & _timemod backups
            mark_d2x

Thanks Phil, starting to get this logic.....  ;-)

Mark