3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2014 8:33 PM by arronlee

Read a Word document from container field ?

wimrippen

Title

Read a Word document from container field ?

I stored a Word 2010 document in a container field, I see it is there "Word Icon"but when I click  I cannot read it

How to get it done that upon clicking the Word/or PDF file can be read. ??

Thanks William

• 1. Re: Read a Word document from container field ?
          philmodjunk

It depends on how the file was inserted and what data format optimization (if using FileMaker 12) was selected for the container field on your current layout.

If the file was inserted with insert file and with "store a reference" selected, you can double click the container field to open it in word.

If the file was optimized for interactive content and a PDF of the file was inserted with Insert PDF, you can read the PDF right in the field.

In all other cases, as far as I know, you'd need to use export Field Contents to export and open a copy of the file before you can read it.

• 2. Re: Read a Word document from container field ?
            SivaRaja

I have the same question.

"Word Icon" is showing up.

- File NOT inserted as "store a reference"

- Clicking icon  doesnt open up in word

What should I do to preview word docs in Filemaker ?

• 3. Re: Read a Word document from container field ?
              arronlee

Hi,

Have you ever found out the solution to your problem? How about creating a Word Doc reader to help read Word 2010 document in a container field? I am not so sure whether it is the best solution. But you can google it and have a try. I hope you success. Good luck.

Best regards,

Arron