2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2014 6:13 AM by lofty@me.com

    Reading Word documents in a container field

    lofty@me.com

      Title

      Reading Word documents in a container field

      Post

      I'm teaching a seminar in which students write papers. I'd hoped to be able to store each paper (better, a reference to each paper) in a container field, and be able to double-click on the paper in the field to open Word with the contained document. My memory -- increasingly frail -- says that I used to be able to to this.

      I no longer can. I can store the document there, but double-clicking does nothing. I can control-click and get an "Export field contents," which includes an option to open the exported document, but that will just create multiple copies.

      Is there any way (a script would be fine) to store the papers, or a reference to the papers, so that when I clicked on them, or ran a script, Word would open the relevant document?

       

       

        • 1. Re: Reading Word documents in a container field
          philmodjunk

          If you used Insert File to insert the file, the "store a reference" check box was selected when you did the insert and you do NOT specify interactive content optimization, you can double click the container field and the inserted file will be opened with your OS specified "default application" for that file type.

          An interactive format is useful for playing back audio files and reading a PDF while keeping it in the container field. I know of no reasons to use that option for MS Word documents.

          Another method for opening the file that works regardless of all insertion methods, storate options and data formatting is to use export field contents to export a copy of the file and open it. You can export to the temporary folder to avoid cluttering the compute with file copies created by this export.

          • 2. Re: Reading Word documents in a container field
            lofty@me.com

             

            Thanks, Phil, that does it -- I'd specified "Interactive content optimization," and as soon as I took that off things worked as I'd hoped.