7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 12:56 AM by ArtDirector

Real Estate website from FileMaker database: which solution?

ArtDirector

Title

Real Estate website from FileMaker database: which solution?

Hallo everyone,

after unsuccessfull trying using Bento, we are thinking about switching to FileMaker.

What we need is a database for a Real Estate agency with the usual fields of this kind of business (price, kind, number of rooms, etc.)

We use Apple iPhoto to manage pictures, since for each event it's possible to store gps data (and locate pics on Google Maps).

Is it possible to link a FileMaker Record to a specific event in iPhoto?

And is it possible to export, among the fileds described above, also the gps data and the local path of each image as a text string?

The database should be the back-end of a website used by clients to make researches.

Thanks in advance for the help.

AD

• 1. Re: Real Estate website from FileMaker database: which solution?
          Paradoxical

I also use Filemaker for a personal real estate database.  While I believe you should be able to either import or link your database to iPhoto, a particularly useful Filemaker feature allows you to display an Internet webpage while viewing the database.  Additionally, you can automatically open Google Maps and have it focus on a particular property's address so that the specific property is displayed on a map when looking at that property's information.

For my database, I use the Tab feature to have the property information on one page and a Google map of the property on another page.  Within this Google Map you can then click to drill down on the house photo if you live in an area when Google Street View has filmed.  

• 2. Re: Real Estate website from FileMaker database: which solution?
            deltatango
               Art Director, yes everything you described can be done with Filemaker. The only thing is you will need to import the files a bit differently if this database will be online but it can be set up with a few tricks.
            • 3. Re: Real Estate website from FileMaker database: which solution?
              ArtDirector
                 Hi and thanks for replying...

Do you know if there's any tutorial? I'd like to read some istrctions before installing the trial version.

Regards,

AD

• 4. Re: Real Estate website from FileMaker database: which solution?
                deltatango

When you enter the address, city, state, zip, country, etc., you can program what is called a "Web Viewer" to pull a google maps of this location. It is esentially a web browser within filemaker and so you can interact with the web page.

You would import the images into Filemaker or store them as references.

BUT, if you want this database to be from a website (which can be accessed via filemaker), then you need to do a bit of scripting to upload the images. 

• 5. Re: Real Estate website from FileMaker database: which solution?
                  ArtDirector
                     Yes, I know about the scripting, but what seems a trouble is to import the pics from iPhoto (which stores them in an unique .XML file) and then export every single path of each pic, so the script can grab them and upload...

Here's a scenario:
                  in my iPhoto library I have 10 events (they're different from albums), call them event#1, event#2, ..., event#10.
                  Each event has 5 images: img_a_#1, img_b#1, ... , img_e_#10.
                  So I have 50 images stored in a single "iPhoto Library.xml" file.

But when I ask Finder to show package contents of the iPhoto Library.xml file, it opens as a folder which contains 10 subfolders: event#1, event#2, etc.

So each image can be found like this:

Macintosh HD/users/username/images/iPhoto Library.xml/event#1/img_a_#1

Macintosh HD/users/username/images/iPhoto Library.xml/event#1/img_a_#2

Macintosh HD/users/username/images/iPhoto Library.xml/event#1/img_a_#3

Macintosh HD/users/username/images/iPhoto Library.xml/event#10/img_e_#10

The trouble is how to set the FileMaker database to export these paths...

• 6. Re: Real Estate website from FileMaker database: which solution?
                    deltatango

You can exports paths in filemaker.

Either way, you wouldn't want the files in iphoto and the records in filemaker. It would be easier to just have them in filemaker. 

• 7. Re: Real Estate website from FileMaker database: which solution?
                      ArtDirector
                         Yes, I know that if I store the images directly in FM database I can Export the path. But I need to link FM to my iPhoto Library...