10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 1:20 PM by philmodjunk

Really? No rating field in 13?

JoeMcgrath

Title

Really? No rating field in 13?

Why would FileMaker as a company offer an out of the box solution for star ratings in bento, but not in FileMaker Pro 13? I've been searching 3 days for a "simple" way to do this, and nothing. Every forum out there has info about graphically representing a number field via a container but this is not the solution for me. Can anyone help me? 

The issue...

We run a audio visual labor company and would like to implement a star rating across all the categories for each individual that can be updated on the fly (graphically). For instance,

John Doe Stagehand is a great employee but lacks lighting skills. We need the ability in his profile (entry) to show,

Audio 5 stars, Video 5 stars, Lighting 2 stars 

we need these to combine and average to give an overall rating (easy part via calculation field) and display graphically as a 1-5 star so we can sort our call list this way.

Please help if you can. Thank you 

• 1. Re: Really? No rating field in 13?
          Jade

3 sets of radio buttons with 5 buttons in each set.

• 2. Re: Really? No rating field in 13?
            philmodjunk

Every forum out there has info about graphically representing a number field via a container but this is not the solution for me.

But you don't say why "This is not a solution for you" and thus we are limited in suggesting alternatives. Personally, I like Jade's solution as it meets your requirement that it be simple.

• 3. Re: Really? No rating field in 13?
              JoeMcgrath

The radio buttons could work. Is there a way to represent them differently? 

Sorry, the reason number field / container isn't the solution is I am implementing this database to managers via fm go and they will need to update this via touch. I'm also looking to add this same "over all" for clients on an "experience form"  (we want clients to have the ratings solution there used to (touch the star representing your satisfaction level.) no drop downs or data entry. (Like the rating system INCLUDED in bento) 

• 4. Re: Really? No rating field in 13?
                Jade

Joe,

You can set these up to your liking but here is one example (7x5) using Radio Buttons that was patterned after Bento's stars:

• 5. Re: Really? No rating field in 13?
                  JoeMcgrath

Jade, That is nice but is there a way to change the look of the buttons? If i can make them look like stars and select all the stars before the one selected ( fill with a color) than it will work perfect. Im playing with them right now, trying to get this to work. Thank you for your help.

• 6. Re: Really? No rating field in 13?
                    philmodjunk

Sorry, the reason number field / container isn't the solution is I am implementing this database to managers via fm go and they will need to update this via touch.

But that does not mean that you can't use graphics in container fields to get the results that you want. While Jade's method is perfectly functional, if you want an interface with "Stars" or some other icon, this is quite doable with container fields, buttons and a bit of scripting.

One possible effect is to show the user a row of 5 white stars. When they tap the 4th star, the 1st four stars turn yellow to show that a rating of 4 stars was selected.

• 7. Re: Really? No rating field in 13?
                      JoeMcgrath

One possible effect is to show the user a row of 5 white stars. When they tap the 4th star, the 1st four stars turn yellow to show that a rating of 4 stars was selected.

Phil, This is exactly what I'm looking for. I am new to filemaker and can't find any sort of tutorial on how to do this. Also, This will return a number that can be averaged among others to display another rating?

• 8. Re: Really? No rating field in 13?
                        philmodjunk

Yes, you use 5 container fields set up as buttons. When you click the button, you set a number field to the number for that button and then the container fields use that number to determine whether to display a gold star or not.

Define a global container field, gSelectedImage. Insert your gold star image into it. Define a second global container field, gUnselectedImage and insert your white star image into it.

Define a number field, Rating, to store the rating value.

Define 5 calculation fields, cStar1, cStar2, ...

Define cStar1 as:

If ( Rating > 0 ; gSelectedImage ; gUnselectedImage )

Select Container as the calculation field's result type.

Define cStar2 as:

If ( Rating > 1 ; gSelectedImage ; gUnselectedImage )

Clear the "do not evaluate if all referenced fields are empty" check box.

cStar3:

If ( Rating > 2 ; gSelectedImage ; gUnselectedImage )

see the pattern?

Define a simple script to be executed when one of the above cStar1...cStar5 container fields is tapped:

Set FIeld [ YourTable::Rating ; Get ( ScriptParameter )
                             Refresh WIndow[]--> may not need this step. Include if if your screen doesn't update immediately after you tap a star.

Now put the cStar1-cStar5 container fields on your layout. Select each in turn and then select "button setup..." from the layout menu to turn them into buttons. Select the Perform Script Option and set them to perform the above script. For cStar1, enter 1 into the optional script parameter box. Enter 2 for cStar2 and so forth for each of the buttons.

• 9. Re: Really? No rating field in 13?
                          JoeMcgrath

Phil, this seems a bit over my head. I will follow this closely and post my results. I truly hope this works. 
                               My original question remains. why do they not include the simple bento rating field type in there flagship product? Do most companies not need a rating system on their employees? 

• 10. Re: Really? No rating field in 13?
                            philmodjunk

"Why" isn't really a question for which you can get an answer, but, just to share my personal opinion as a fellow user, keep in mind that FIleMaker is not Bento. It was designed for a different segment of the market. It's a "build your own database system" tool and many features such as this can easily be "built" by a knowledgeable users so there isn't any huge demand for it as a built in feature.

And if you would like to request that such a feature be included in a future version, you can post that request here: http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

That site is the site used by FileMaker Inc to collect feature requests so it's the best place to post such feedback if you want someone who actually works for FileMaker and who might have some input on what appears in future versions to see it.