7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 4:03 PM by philmodjunk

Rearranged fields aren't updated in browse view

Trex23

Title

Rearranged fields aren't updated in browse view

Hello,

When I want to add a field to an existing database, I go into Manage Database, create the field I want and the newly created is placed at the bottom of the list.  I then drag the field name up the list using the arrows on the left of the field name to the position that I want.  However, after I click OK and go back to the Browse mode, the new field is still at the bottom and I can't figure out how to reorder it to the proper order I want.  How does one adjust the position of newly created fields without going into the Layout Mode and manually moving things around (fairly time consuming)?

I'm running FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 on Mac OS X 10.5

Thanks,

Rich

• 1. Re: Rearranged fields aren't updated in browse view
          philmodjunk

If you view the layout in form or list view:

Bring up the layout.

Enter layout mode.

Drag the field to it's desired position.

Enter browse mode, saving your changes.

In table view, simply drag the column header for the field left or right to the desired position.

Changes to the order in Manage | Database | Fields won't affect how the fields appear on a layout.

• 2. Re: Rearranged fields aren't updated in browse view
            Steve Wright

Dragging the field in Manage Databases is purely as I understand it, for convenience of locating the fields later.

The order of fields in Manage Databases has no correllation to the order you view on the layout

To move the field on the layout, you have to do just that.  Edit the layout and move the field where you want it to be.

• 3. Re: Rearranged fields aren't updated in browse view
              Trex23

Phil and SW,

Thanks for your quick responses.  I was afraid of this

Thanks,

Richard

• 5. Re: Rearranged fields aren't updated in browse view
                Steve Wright

To be honest Richard... Im glad it doesnt work that way.  Trust me... its good that it doesnt.

I put an awful lot of effort into my layout designs, if simply adding a field was to mess the layout up by re-arranging things, or even putting a field, not designed for viewing on the layout... then filemaker would have been in the bin a long time ago  :-)

• 6. Re: Rearranged fields aren't updated in browse view
                  Trex23

I can understand why one wouldn't want this option if you are making a detailed layout and don't want it to mess it up.

For my purposes, I want to catalog various pieces of information and a vertical list is just fine for me, however, the items that I want at the top of the list may vary over time as I figure out the most efficient way to view and enter my data.  I'm not used to using databases, I've used spreadsheets for this task in the past, but the abiliy to sort the data made me jump to a database.

Basically I haven't put a lot of time into thinking about the order in which I want the data to be entered/viewed and ideally I'd like the list order to reflect the field order in the Manage Database window.

Thanks for the support, I appreciate it.

Rich

• 7. Re: Rearranged fields aren't updated in browse view
                    philmodjunk

You might want to check out table view. It's a more spread sheet like view of your data and you can drag columns of data right and left on the fly.

Generally, modifying a layout to list the fields in a different order usually only affects one or two layouts as you aren't likely to have more than one "long list of fields" type layout for a given table.

You may also find that what you are creating fields for is better served by creating indiviudal records instead. In a database, each record can be viewed as one "row" from your spreadsheet. and each "column" would be a field you have defined in your table.

WIth that approach you can change the order of your rows simply by specifying a different sort order for your records.