5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2009 7:49 PM by David40

Reasonable Training Expetations

SLM0516

Title

Reasonable Training Expetations

I am a manager (business-end, not technology manager)that has hired an individual with limited knowledge in Access.  This individual has done some database modification and has built queries (unsure of the level of complexity) in Access. 

Our organization uses FileMaker Pro.  This individual will need to be able to create databases by importing multiple tables, change field/data types, join tables, query information and export information to meet a designated file specification.

Assuming the individual understand the basic concepts of relational databases, what is a reasonable time frame to expect this individual to learn FileMaker to do the specific tasks above?  If I were able to secure training in two hour increments twice a month, what would you say is a reasonable time frame?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Reasonable Training Expetations
          ninja

Howdy SLM0516,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the post...out of the everday to be sure.

Others on the board will be far more able to answer your direct question than I, but I have some thoughts that you might want to consider.  Chances are you've already considered these things, but just in case...

(For perspective, I'm a manager also, and not of IT though I do much of the Dbase building&support for the company.  I have never been "Officially trained", though I have no doubt I would be better equipped if I were.  I not only answer some questions on the forum, I ask them as well.)

Training is knowledge, excellence comes from experience.  Consider not only the training, but also the time they will have to "play around with it".  They will learn the concepts and the tools through training, they will learn how to use the tools by 'hans on'.  Make sure they have enough hands-on time.

In my role as "Dbase builder", probably anyone in that role, the hardest part of building the Dbase is understanding what all the parties want out of it.  Communication skills as a "receiver of data" will be extremely important.

That's my two cents...I hope there's at least half a cent of value in there for you.

PS: Filemaker offers training, and to judge by those in my organization who have been to it...it is very, very good.

Added later: Oh, as I pondered it and what RSchaub says below, kudos to you for trying to get perspective before saddling a new hire with unrealistic expectations.  Thanks for educating yourself beforehand.

• 2. Re: Reasonable Training Expetations
            RSchaub
               [quote]

I am a manager (business-end, not technology manager)that has hired an individual with limited knowledge in Access.  This individual has done some database modification and has built queries (unsure of the level of complexity) in Access. 

Our organization uses FileMaker Pro.  This individual will need to be able to create databases by importing multiple tables, change field/data types, join tables, query information and export information to meet a designated file specification.

Assuming the individual understand the basic concepts of relational databases, what is a reasonable time frame to expect this individual to learn FileMaker to do the specific tasks above?  If I were able to secure training in two hour increments twice a month, what would you say is a reasonable time frame? [/quote]

First, May I ask, without being smart. Why did you hire someone with limited knowledge of Access, rather than someone with FileMaker experience?

Second, Given that you are willing to get this person training in 2 hrs increments. It could take this person a year or more to get the work done. It my also get done, but givin the person experience. How will you know if it gets done correctly. (Keep in mind you have to pay this person a salary over that time) My advice would be to hire a FileMaker developer. You may spend as much as a years salary on A developer but it will get done quicker and more accurate. But I know the economy is tight. So you have to do what you have to do.

• 3. Re: Reasonable Training Expetations
              SLM0516

We are in a relatively small community (38,000) that is also home to State government offices.  The State government offices are Microsoft Office users.  As a result, there are a number of applicants with Access experiences, but none with FileMaker experience.

The two hour every two weeks is what I am able to commit in terms of time out of the office, as well as providing time for using/applying the skills learned.  This is one set of expectations, there are a number of others that we will need to provide training and application time for. 

More importantly, that is all I can get in terms of support from our Technology department.  We are a small organization and only have one person with the skills necessary to provide training in FileMaker.  That individual is also primary support for several software applications, including an implementation and support for a new program.

Given the limited opportunity for training and possibly limited availability of support, I want to make sure we do not have unreasonable expectations for this individual.  I suspected it would take several months, but am being told that it shouldn't take that long.

• 4. Re: Reasonable Training Expetations
                storywizard

Hello:

As a new Filemaker user, I was hired in exactly the same situation as your new hire. I got some excellent advice re training time on Filemaker from a couple of other boards. Basically I was told that if I was allocated 7 hours a day 5 days a week that in 3 months I could  build a basic database.

I have had little experience with database design, couple of courses at college. I am now allowed to work on filemaker a couple of hours a day, and most of the day on Fridays. This works quite well. One of the big things for me was having a quite space, which was not available initially. I actually spent many hours at home reading and "playing" with Filemaker just to get the basics learnt. It is a very time consuming process and in many ways the poster who suggested hiring a Filemaker developer was not far from saying the truth. It all depends on what you are trying to build.

I really appreciate the opportunity to learn this program, but in some ways spending say, $25, 000 upfront may have been a better option for this situation....

Hope that is helpfull..

Storywizard

• 5. Re: Reasonable Training Expetations
                  David40

Similar to one of the previous posts, I would also like to add my two cents.  I have taken countless hours of ACCESS classes over the years and still cannot build a database program.  I bought FMP-9 and three users guides and taught myself the program in less than a month.  I am not at a "novice level" yet, but I can, at least, build a database and do work in FMP.  That is light-years further than what I did with ACCESS.

The point here is if you can master the basics, then there are people out there that can help with the rest.  Reading these posts on a daily basis helps tremendously!

Unfortunately, I have found no one in my area to teach FMP.  However, I have found folks, who for a small fee, will get me through a problem.  I hope this has helped.  The FMP user community is a great resource and may be the key to solving your problem.