1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 11, 2011 9:20 AM by philmodjunk

Recommendations for an invoicing solution

c.wagner1

Title

Recommendations for an invoicing solution

Hi Guys,

I wrote the current invoicing solution our company uses about 4 years ago.  While it has served us well, it was my first major filemaker project.  In the last 4 years feature after feature has been incorporated into it.  It is now held together with bubble gum and duct tape.  After going through the latest list of feature requests I came to the conclusion that my basic design was pretty week and it is really time for a start from scratch rewrite.

I am looking for invoicing solution example files that I can examine to see how the authors laid out the work flow.  Every example have ever downloaded and looked at or read about in books has a pretty crappy end user work flow.  Our sales staff creates 100-200 new invoices per day with 85% of these being first time customers.  Every solution I looked at requires this to be done in 2 steps.  First create a new customer in the customers layout, second create the sale in the sales orders layout.  Ultimately this isn't really the most efficient work flow.  I know how I solved the issue but would be interested in seeing how others have handled these problems.

Chris

• 1. Re: Recommendations for an invoicing solution
          philmodjunk

It's possible to set up a "repeat customer" widget. When you ring up your sale, you ask the customer "have you shopped here before?". If So, using this widget, you can type in a few letters of the customer's last name to quickly narrow a very long customer list down to just a few possibilities. Click on off them and you get all needed customer info looked up into your invoice record.

If the customer says no, you just type in the information you need directly into these same "looked up value" customer fields on the invoices. A script triggered later when a button is clicked to finalize the sale and print an invoice also checks to see if the customer ID field is empty. If so, it uses the info to generate a new customer record in the customer table and updates the invoice record with the customer ID number from this new record.

Let me know if you are interested in a more detailed description of the repeat customer tool.