2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 1:16 PM by LeeMoreau

Recommended FileMaker hosting

LeeMoreau

Title

Recommended FileMaker hosting

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone can recommend someone good.  We are a small business only a few users using FileMaker.  We're in Toronto and our FM host is in Atlanta I believe which is fine as our application isn't bandwidth intensive.  We pay like $12 a month for hosting of 1 database so pricing is great.  They give unlimited concurrent connections, but the problem is when using WebDirect they have it set to time out after 15 minutes, and if using FMPro application it's something like 20-30.  It's not a huge deal but almost every single time I click FileMaker to switch to the application, it's at the screen saying connection was lost and I have to log back in.

Are there any hosts anyone can recommend that are similar under $20 a month ideally but that don't have the timeout so quick?  Our host said that's how they set it and can't be changed so was wondering if there's any other providers.  They are sort of hard to find as there's lots out there but most are all "call for a quote" type thing, where the one we have now you just sign up on your own and so on.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Recommended FileMaker hosting
          erawson

I think you're going to be hard pressed to find anything better than that price. Especially with unlimited concurrent connections.

My company (www.coresolutions.ca) does some filemaker hosting and we use a server at a rogers datacenter in Toronto but we've only just started hosting last year and so far it's only been a few clients that we've done development work for. I'm a developer so I don't know how much we charge but I doubt its below $20 a month although I suppose we would charge in canadian dollars so that's a 20% savings right there :P

Looking at our production server admin console right now I see we don't have any timeout set so it shouldn't kick you out if you just leave it open. Anyway if you're interested you can talk to Kris Hayward at 800.650.8882 x803 just don't mention my name I'm supposed to be doing real work right now instead of looking through forums... ;)

• 2. Re: Recommended FileMaker hosting
            LeeMoreau

Great thanks!  Sorry I should clarify, we don't need unlimited concurrent connections, I'm not being super cheap :)  I'd be fine even paying the $12 per user.  I meant we only have 2-3 users right now, so I'd rather pay a bit more or even similar but not have the unlimited concurrent users, since that's why there's the time out I think.  I'll check out your site and see, thanks!