1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 2:16 PM by jbante

Record creation across multiple layouts

JamesWard_1

Title

Record creation across multiple layouts

Hi, I'm trying to create a DB with an "Input Form" that when you create a record in the Form it creates a record across another layout.  I've defined tables with identical fields, created the relationships between them (for now, until I get this figured out, I'm just using the fields "month", "day", and "year" for simplicity's sake).  I have the box checked "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" and also "Delete related records in this table when a record is deleted in the other table."  When I create a new record and enter data into the "Input Form" layout, and then switch to the other layout, it says zero records and all fields are blank.  I've been reading forum posts and watching video tutorials till I'm blue in the face.  I know it is something stupid that I'm overlooking.  Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Record creation across multiple layouts
          jbante

When you turn on "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship," you create a record in that table occurrence by setting fields in that table from the other side of the relationship. You can script this, or you can put fields from your related table on the "Input Form" layout. If you only want to allow the creation of one related record, you can just put the fields on the layout; but if you want to allow the creation of several, you can put a portal on the layout. The last row of the portal will allow users to enter data for a new related record. For a more advanced version of creating related records (and related techniques), learn about the Selector/Connector model.