3 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2012 11:07 AM by philmodjunk

Record Duplication problem on Web Publishing

ESurina

Title

Record Duplication problem on Web Publishing

I have a simple database that we are using to log incoming checks.  This database is being run on Filemaker Pro 9 and some of the users are logging in the information via the Instant Web Publishing feature. One of the fields in this database automatically logs the userID for the creation of the record.

My issue has just recently occured and am not sure what could be causing it.

• User A creates a new record and logs in a check
      • Once they hit submit, they noticed that two records were created:
        •      The one that they created with "User A" in the Created by field
        •      A second record with some missing information and "User B" in the Created By field

What is really confusing me is that User B was logged into the Database but was only viewing records at the time that this error occured.  Does anyone have any thoughts on why this could be occuring?

• 1. Re: Record Duplication problem on Web Publishing
          philmodjunk

What method were you using for capturing the userID?

Are you trying to use script triggers for part of this process?

Are you using Instant Web Publishing or Custom Web Publishing?

• 2. Re: Record Duplication problem on Web Publishing
            ESurina

What method were you using for capturing the userID? - This is a text field that is autoentered with the Creation Account Name.  I have set the permissions for both users so that they cannot modifiy that field on any of the layouts.

Are you trying to use script triggers for part of this process? - No.  The button I created only creates a new record.  Since they are using the Web Publishing, they need to hit the Submit button before the database is updated.

Are you using Instant Web Publishing or Custom Web Publishing? - Instant Web Publishing

• 3. Re: Record Duplication problem on Web Publishing
              philmodjunk

That rules out some of the most obvious causes for this.

You'll need to very carefully examine exactly what was taking place when the other user was "just viewing information". Did they have to run any scripts? Is there any chance that those scripts tripped a script trigger? (Though a user can't use a web browser to trip a script trigger directly, a script they perform can trip script triggers.)

Is this all data in a single table or is there a portal or other relational feature to your layout design?