2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2012 3:45 PM by RichardSorenson

Record Entry in a portal

RichardSorenson

Title

Record Entry in a portal

I'm a newbie.  Everything I read about portals states they display records from another table. My portal will display records very nicely that I've added directly into the related table, but I am not able to add records into the related table via my portal.  In the portal documentation I found a statement that says you can add, delete, and edit records of another table through a portal.  I can edit, but seemingly not add  - is this something you can do, and how?    Help...

• 1. Re: Record Entry in a portal
          philmodjunk

Every portal is based on a relationship between the portal's table occurrence (Selected in "Show Records From" in Layout setup...) and the portal's table occurrence (selected in "Show Related Records From" in Portal Setup...).

Open Manage | Database | Relationships and double click the line linking these two occurrences. This opens a dialog where you can select "allow creation of records via this relationship" for the table occurrence selected for the portal. Select that option and you can add new records in the portal as long as the match fields used in the relationship permit it. (If a match field for the portal table is a calculaiton field, this won't work even with "allow creation..." enabled.

• 2. Re: Record Entry in a portal
            RichardSorenson

Thanks - that resolved my issue!