2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 9:34 AM by RickWhitelaw

Record Level Access

RickWhitelaw

Title

Record Level Access

I've a substantial business solution that has been running fine and does everything I need. However I have been considering making it multi-user. The files are hosted on FMS. I have a decent grasp of Accounts and Privilege Sets (been "studying up") but one thing I haven't come up with is how to allow a user to view all records but only be able to alter records the user has created. In my case this would involve creating an account for my assistant du jour and wanting him/her to be able to view all the history, I.e. all records, but not alter them unless he/she has created them.

• 1. Re: Record Level Access
          philmodjunk

There's one setting for what the user can view and another that allows the user to edit. The edit option can be set to be based on a calculation that conditionally permits or prevents editing, such as one that compares the current account name to the account name used to create the record. (Select "limited..." in the edit column of custom privileges.)

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set this up.

• 2. Re: Record Level Access
            RickWhitelaw

I had been searching for exactly this and had no luck. Thanks for the tip! Wasn't able to reply earlier because I was on iOS.