3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2011 9:22 AM by philmodjunk

Record Level Security

PhillipSkeens

Title

Record Level Security

I'm fairly new to FM as a development tool.  I have played around with past versions but never got deep into FM.  I am using FM Pro Advanced 11 and developing a solution for a client.  I need to be able to allow users to view only data from their company (record level security).  

In other solutions this is pretty straight forward using a "USERS" Table and creating a relationship with the user, their company, and the company name in an orders table.  

I am having trouble and cannot find it on the net anywhere on how to do this in FM.  The security module in FM does not allow for company names, etc so there is no relationships that can be made.

Does anyone have an idea of how to do this, can it be done in FM?  I guess thats the question before I spend any more time in development of this solution.  Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Record Level Security
          GeorgeMoore
          Hi ..... Could you not exchange the word company to And use the word account. Therefore Company A has an account called A********** Company B hascan account called B ********* Then could you then not go to record level and make your setting for each account.
          • 2. Re: Record Level Security
            PhillipSkeens

I'm not sure I can call or make a relationship with the accounts (Security).  If so than that may work.

• 3. Re: Record Level Security
              philmodjunk

This can be done in FileMaker. See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a detailed description of how to set this up.

(You can flag your records with account and/or company names and then use that information in a calculation expression set up in Manage | Security to control which records are accessible and in what way for each user that logs in.)