5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 6:44 AM by singerdf

Record Locking, maybe

singerdf

Title

Record Locking, maybe

I have recently run into a situation I am not sure how to amend or proceed forward.  

I have created a database with multiple tables.  One of the tables is a very long list of contacts.  These contacts are used in another related table.  Similar to POS.  Each year, I like to go through the contacts and delete those that no longer exist and update information for those that do.  Unfortunately, when I do that the information propagates through out the records where the contact has been used.  Not surprising.  

My first thought was to lock the record once a new one is created.  Not sure how I would go back through 4000 records and lock them.

So at this point, I am stumped and would gratefully invite others to guide me.

Happy to answer any and all questions as needed.

Debbie

• 1. Re: Record Locking, maybe
          philmodjunk

So you want to update the data in Contacts but not see those updated appear in related records such as a table of invoices linked to contacts?

Set up fields in your related table that look up (copy) data from your contacts table (There are two auto-enter field options that can do this). Then your records in the related table will capture the contact data that is current at the moment that the record was linked to a contact record, but will not change if you later update the related record in contacts.

• 2. Re: Record Locking, maybe
            singerdf

You have the right idea.  So if I do this, will the records that already exist look up the values?

Since I have put the related record into the layout now, I assume I replace these instances with the new field which looks up the value from the related record?

Thank you so much.  Things I should have known or thought about along the way!

Debbie

• 3. Re: Record Locking, maybe
              singerdf

I assume I have to do this for every field that I use from the Contact table?

• 4. Re: Record Locking, maybe
                philmodjunk

Existing records will not automatically auto-enter the data but you can update them with the current data pretty easily. If you use the Looked up value auto enter option, you can pull up all records, put the cursor in the match field that links that layout's table to contacts and select "relookup" from the contacts menu. If you use the calculation auto-enter option, you can either use Replace Field Contents or the trick described in this thread to get existing records to update to contain the auto-entered data: Updating values in auto-enter calc fields without using Replace Field Contents

• 5. Re: Record Locking, maybe
                  singerdf

Thank you so much.  I will now work on how to add the fields in all of my layouts.

I would be lost with out you and the forum.

Debbie